삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 108-03 사마의와 손권의 죽음 이후

卻說諸葛恪連月攻打新城不下,令眾將併力攻城,怠慢者立斬。於是諸將奮力攻打,城東北角將陷。張特在城中定下一計,乃令一舌辯士,齎捧冊籍,赴吳寨見諸葛恪,告曰:「魏國之法:若敵人困城,守城將堅守一百日,而無救兵至,然後出城降敵者,家族不坐罪。今將軍圍城已九十餘日;望乞再容數日,某主將盡率軍民出城投降,今先具冊籍呈上。」

恪深信之,收了軍馬,遂不攻城。原來張特用緩兵之計,哄退吳兵,遂拆城中房屋,於破城處,修補完備,乃登城大罵曰:「吾城中尚有半年之糧,豈肯降吳狗耶!儘戰無妨!」恪大怒,催兵攻城。城下亂箭射下。恪額上正中一箭,翻身落馬,諸將救起還寨,金瘡舉發。眾軍皆無戰心;又因天氣亢炎,軍士多病。恪金瘡稍可,欲催兵攻城。營吏告曰:「人人皆病,安能戰乎?」恪大怒曰:「再說病者斬之!」眾軍聞知,逃者無數。

忽報都督蔡林引於部軍投魏去了。恪大驚,自乘馬遍視各營,果見軍士面色黃腫,各帶病容,遂勒兵還吳。早有細作報知毋丘儉。儉盡起大兵,隨後掩殺。吳兵大敗而歸。恪甚羞慚,託病不朝。吳主孫亮,自幸其宅問安。文武官僚,皆來拜見。恪恐人議論,先搜求眾官將過失,輕則發遺邊方,重則斬首示眾。於是內外官僚,無不悚懼。又今心腹將張約、朱恩管御林軍,以為牙爪。

卻說孫峻字子遠,乃孫堅弟孫靜曾孫,孫恭之子也。孫權在日,甚愛之,命掌御林軍馬。今聞諸葛恪令張約、朱恩二人掌御林軍,奪其權,心中大怒。太常卿滕胤,素與諸葛恪有隙,乃乘間說峻曰:「諸葛恪專權恣虐,殺害公卿,將有不臣之心。公係宗室,何不早圖之?」峻曰:「我有是心久矣。今當即奏天子,請旨誅之。」

於是孫峻、滕胤入見吳主孫亮,密奏其事。亮曰:「朕見此人,亦甚恐怖;常欲除之,未得其便。今卿等果有忠義,可密圖之。」胤曰:「陛下可設席召恪,暗伏武士於壁衣中,擲盃為號,就席間殺之,以絕後患。」亮從之。

卻說諸葛恪自兵敗回朝,託病居家,心神恍惚。一日偶出中堂,忽見一人麻衣掛孝而入。恪叱問之,其人大驚無措。恪今拏下拷問,其人告曰:「某因新喪父親,入城請僧追薦;初見是寺院而入,卻不想是太傅之府。卻怎生來到此處也!」恪怒,召守門軍士問之。軍士告曰:「某等數十人,皆荷戈把門,未嘗暫離,並不見一人入來。」恪大怒,盡數斬之。是夜恪睡臥不安,忽聽得正堂中聲響如霹靂。恪自出視之,見中樑折為兩段。恪驚歸寢室,忽然一陣陰風起處,見所殺披麻人與守門軍士數十人,各提頭索命。恪驚倒在地,良久方甦。次早洗面,聞水甚血臭。恪叱侍婢,連換數十盆,皆臭無異。

47 For months the army of Zhuge Ke battered at Xincheng without success. He urged his generals to strenuous efforts, threatening to put to death anyone who was dilatory. At last his attacks looked like succeeding, for the northeast corner of the wall seemed shaken.

48 Then Zhang Te, the Commander of Xincheng, thought of a device. He sent a persuasive messenger with all the register documents to Zhuge Ke.

49 And the messenger said, "It is a rule in Wei that if a city holds out against attack for a hundred days and reinforcement has not arrived, then its commander may surrender without penalty to his family. Now Xincheng has held out for over ninety days, and my master hopes you will allow him to withstand the few days necessary to complete the hundred, when he will yield. Here are all register documents that he desires to tender first."

50 Zhuge Ke had no doubts that the story was genuine. He ordered the army to retreat temporarily, and the defenders enjoyed a rest. But all Zhang Te really desired was time wherein to strengthen the weak angle of the wall. As soon as the attacks ceased, the defenders pulled down the houses near the corner and repaired the wall with the material.

51 As soon as the repairs were complete, Zhang Te threw off all pretense and cried from the wall, "I have half a year's provisions yet and will not surrender to any curs of Wu!"

52 The defense became as vigorous as before the truce. Zhuge Ke was enraged at being so tricked, and urged on the attack. But one day one of the thousands of arrows that flew from the rampart struck him in the forehead, and he fell. He was borne to his tent, but the wound inflamed, and he became very ill.

53 Their leader's illness disheartened the troops, and, moreover, the weather became very hot. Sickness invaded the camp, so that soldiers and leaders alike wished to go home.

54 When Zhuge Ke had recovered sufficiently to resume command, he urged on the attack, but the generals said, "The soldiers are sick and unfit for battle."

55 Zhuge Ke burst into fierce anger, and said, "The next person who mentions illness will be beheaded."

56 When the report of this threat got abroad, the soldiers began to desert freely. Presently Commander Cai Lin, with his whole company, went over to the enemy. Zhuge Ke began to be alarmed and rode through the camps to see for himself. Surely enough, the soldiers all looked sickly, with pale and puffy faces.

57 The siege had to be raised, and Zhuge Ke retired into his own country. But scouts brought the news of retreat to Guanqiu Jian who led the Wei's grand army to follow and harass Zhuge Ke's march and inflicted a severe defeat.

58 Mortified by the course of events, after his return Zhuge Ke did not attend court held by the Ruler of Wu, but pretended illness.

59 Sun Liang, the Ruler of Wu, went to the residence to see his general, and the officers came to call. In order to silence comment, Zhuge Ke assumed an attitude of extreme severity, investigating everyone's conduct very minutely, punishing rigorously any fault or shortcoming and meting out sentences of banishment, or death with exposure, till everyone walked in terror. He also placed two of his own cliques---Zhang Yue and Zhu En---over the royal guards, making them the teeth and claws of his vengeance.

60 Now Sun Jun was a son of Sun Gong and a great grandson of Sun Jing, brother of Sun Jian. Sun Quan loved him and had put him in command of the guards. Sun Jun was enraged at being superseded by Zhang Yue and Zhu En, the two creatures of Zhuge Ke.

61 Minister Teng Yin, who had an old quarrel with Zhuge Ke, said to Sun Jun, "This Zhuge Ke is as cruel as he is powerful. He abuses his authority, and no one is safe against him. I also think he is aiming at something yet higher and you, Sir, as one of the ruling family ought to put a stop to it."

62 "I agree with you, and I want to get rid of him," replied Sun Jun. "Now I will obtain an edict condemning him to death."

63 Both went in to see the Ruler of Wu, Sun Liang, and they laid the matter before him.

64 "I am afraid of him, too," replied Sun Liang. "I have wanted to remove him for some time, but have found no opportunity. If you would prove your loyalty, you would do it for me."

65 Then said Teng Yin, "Your Majesty can give a banquet and invite him, and let a few braves be ready hidden behind the curtains. At a signal, as the dropping of a wine cup, they might jump out and slay him, and all further trouble would be avoided."

66 Sun Liang agreed.

67 Zhuge Ke had never been to court since his return from the unfortunate expedition. Under a plea of indisposition he had remained moping at home. One day he was going out of his reception room when he suddenly saw coming in a person dressed in the mourning white.

68 "Who are you?" said he, rather roughly.

69 The person seemed too terror-stricken to reply or resist when he was seized.

70 They questioned him, and he said, "I was in mourning for my father newly dead, and had come into the city to seek a priest to read the liturgy. I had entered by mistake, thinking it was a temple."

71 The gate wardens were questioned. They said, "There are scores of us at the gate, which is never unwatched. We have not seen a man enter."

72 Zhuge Ke raged and had the mourner and the gate wardens put to death. But that night he was restless and sleepless. By and by he heard a rending sound that seemed to come from the reception hall, so he arose and went to see what it was. The great main beam had broken in two.

73 Zhuge Ke, much disturbed, returned to his chamber to try once more to sleep. But a cold wind blew, and, shivering in the chilly air, he saw the figures of the mourner and the gate wardens he had put to death. They advanced toward him holding their heads in their hands and seemed to threaten him. He was frightened, and fell in a swoon.

74 Next morning, when washing his face, the water seemed tainted with the smell of blood. He bade the maid throw it away and bring more; it made no difference, the odor was still there. He was perplexed and distressed. 

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,