삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 043-02 제갈량의 설득

次日至館驛中見孔明,又囑曰:「今見我主,切不可言曹操兵多。」孔明笑曰:「亮自見機而變,決不有誤。」肅乃引孔明至幕下。早見張昭、顧雍等一班文武,二十餘人,峨冠博帶,整衣端坐。孔明逐一相見,各問姓名。施禮已畢,坐於客位。張昭等見孔明丰神飄洒,器宇軒昂,料道此人必來游說。張昭先以言挑之曰:「昭乃江東微末之士,久聞先生高臥隆中,自比管、樂。此語果有之乎?」孔明曰:「此亮平生小可之比也。」昭曰:「近聞劉豫州三顧先生於草廬之中,幸得先生,以為如魚得水,思欲席捲荊、襄。今一旦以屬曹操,未審是何主見?」

孔明自思張昭乃孫權手下第一個謀士,若不先難倒他,如何說得孫權;遂答曰:「吾觀取漢上之地,易如反掌。我主劉豫州躬行仁義,不忍奪同宗之基業,故力辭之。劉琮孺子,聽信佞言,暗自投降,致使曹操得以猖獗。今我主屯兵江夏,別有良圖,非等閒可知也。」

昭曰:「若此,是先生言行相違也。先生自比管、樂。管仲相桓公,霸諸侯,一匡天下;樂毅扶持微弱之燕,下齊七十餘城;此二人者,真濟世之才也。先生在草廬之中,但笑傲風月,抱膝危坐;今既從事劉豫州,當為生靈興利除害,剿滅亂賊。且劉豫州未得先生之時,尚且縱橫寰宇,割據城池;今得先生,人皆仰望;雖三尺童蒙,亦謂彪虎生翼,將見漢室復興,曹氏即滅矣;朝廷舊臣,山林隱士,無不拭目而待:以為拂高天之雲翳,仰日月之光輝,拯斯民於水火之中,措天下於衽席之上,在此時也。何先生自歸豫州,曹兵一出,棄甲拋戈,望風而竄;上不能報劉表以安庶民,下不能輔孤子而據疆土;乃棄新野,走樊城,敗當陽,奔夏口,無容身之地?是豫州既得先生之後,反不如其初也。管仲、樂毅,果如是乎?愚直之言,幸勿見怪!」

孔明聽罷,啞然而笑曰:「鵬飛萬里,其志豈群鳥能識哉?譬如人染沈痾,當先用糜粥以飲之,和藥以服之;待其腑臟調和,形體漸安,然後用肉食以補之,猛藥以治之;則病根盡去,人得全生也。若不待氣脈和緩,便投以猛藥厚味,欲求安保,誠為難矣。吾主劉豫州,向日軍敗於汝南,寄跡劉表,兵不滿千,將止關、張、趙雲而已;此正如病勢尪羸已極之時也。新野山僻小縣,人民稀少,糧食鮮薄,豫州不過暫借以容身,豈真將坐守於此耶?夫以甲兵不完,城郭不固,軍不經練,糧不繼日,然而博望燒屯,白河用水,使夏侯惇、曹仁輩心驚膽裂。竊謂管仲、樂毅之用兵,未必過此。至於劉琮降操,豫州實出不知;且又不忍乘亂奪同宗之基業,此真大仁大義也。當陽之敗,豫州見有數十萬赴義之民,扶老攜幼相隨,不忍棄之,日行十里,不思進取江陵,甘與同敗,此亦大仁大義也。寡不敵眾,勝負乃其常事。昔高皇數敗於項羽,而垓下一戰成功,此非韓信之良謀乎?夫信久事高皇,未嘗累勝。蓋國家大計,社稷安危,是有主謀,非比誇辯之徒,虛譽欺人,──坐議立談,無人可及;臨機應變,百無一能。──誠為天下笑耳!」

這一篇言語,說得張昭並無一言回答。座上忽一人抗聲問曰:「今曹公兵屯百萬,將列千員,龍驤虎視,平吞江夏,公以為何如?」孔明視之,乃虞翻也。孔明曰:「曹操收袁紹蟻聚之兵,劫劉表烏合之眾,雖數百萬不足懼也。」虞翻冷笑曰:「軍敗於當陽,計窮於夏口,區區求救於人,而猶言不懼,此真大言欺人也!」孔明曰:「劉豫州以數千仁義之師,安能敵百萬殘暴之眾,退守夏口,所以待時也。今江東兵精糧足,且有長江之險,猶欲使其主屈膝降賊,不顧天下恥笑;由此論之,劉豫州真不懼操賊者矣!」

虞翻不能對。

27 Next day he went to the guest-house and conveyed Sun Quan's commands to the guest, particularly saying, "When you see my master, say nothing of the magnitude of Cao Cao's army."

28 Zhuge Liang 제갈량 smiled, saying, "I shall act as circumstances dictate. You may be sure I shall make no mistakes."

29 Zhuge Liang was then conducted to where the high officers, civil and military to the number of forty and more, were assembled. They formed a dignified conclave as they sat in stately ranks with their tall headdresses and broad girdles.

30 Zhang Zhao 장소 sat at the head, and Zhuge Liang first saluted him. Then, one by one, he exchange the formal courtesies with them all. This done he took his seat in the guest's chair.

31 They, on their part, noted with interest Zhuge Liang's refined and elegant manner and his commanding figure, thinking within themselves, "Here is a persuader fitted for discourse."

32 Zhang Zhao led the way in trying to bait the visitor. He said, "You will pardon the most insignificant of our official circle, myself, if I mention that people say you compare yourself with those two famous men of talent, Guan Zhong 관중 and Yue Yi 악의. Is there any truth in this?"

33 "To a trifling extent I have compared myself with them," replied Zhuge Liang.

34 "I have heard that Liu Bei 유비 made three journeys to visit you when you lived in retirement in your simple dwelling in the Sleeping Dragon Ridge, and that when you consented to serve him, he said he was as lucky as a fish in getting home to the ocean. Then he desired to possess the region about Jingzhou 형주. Yet today all that country belongs to Cao Cao. I should like to hear your account of all that."

35 Zhuge Liang thought, "This Zhang Zhao is Sun Quan's first adviser. Unless I can nonplus him, I shall never have a chance with his master."

36 So he replied, "In my opinion the taking of the region around the Han River 한상(형주) was as simple as turning over one's hand. But my master Liu Bei is both righteous and humane and would not stoop to filching the possession of a member of his own house. So he refused the offer of succession. But Liu Zong 유종, a stupid lad, misled by specious words, submitted to Cao Cao and fell victim to his ferocity. My master is in camp at Jiangxia, but what his future plans may be cannot be divulged at present."

37 Zhang Zhao said, "Be it so; but your words and your deeds are something discordant. You say you are the equal of the two famous ones. Well, Guan Zhong 관중, as minister of Prince Huan 제나라 환공, put his master at the very head of the feudal nobles, making his master's will supreme in all the land. Under the able statesmanship of Yue Yi 악의, the feeble state of Yan 연나라 conquered Qi 제나라, reducing nearly seventy of its cities. These two were men of most commanding and conspicuous talent.

38 "When you lived in retirement, you smiled scornfully at ordinary people, passed your days in idleness, nursing your knees and posing in a superior manner, implying that if you had control of affairs, Liu Bei would be more than human; he should bring good to everybody and remove all evil; rebellion and robbery would be no more. Poor Liu Bei, before he obtained your help, was an outcast and a vagabond, stealing a city here and there where he could. With you to help him, he was to become the cynosure of every eye, and every lisping school child was to say that he was a tiger who had grown wings; the Hans were to be restored and Cao Cao and his faction exterminated; the good old days would be restored, and all the people who had been driven into retirement by the corruption of political life would wake up, rub the sleep out of their eyes, and be in readiness to lift the cloud of darkness that covered the sky and gaze up at the glorious brilliancy of the sun and moon, to pull the people out of fire and water and put all the world to rest on a couch of comfort. That was all supposed to happen forthwith.

39 "Why then, when you went to Xinye 신야, did not Cao Cao's army throw aside their arms and armors and flee like rats? Why could you not have told Liu Biao 유표 how to give tranquillity to his people? Why could you not aid his orphan son to protect his frontiers? Instead you abandoned Xinye and fled to Fancheng 번성; you were defeated at Dangyang 당양 and fled to Xiakou 하구 with no place to rest in. Thus, after you had joined Liu Bei, he was worse off than before. Was it thus with Guan Zhong and Yue Yi? I trust you do not mind my blunt speech."

40 Zhuge Liang waited till Zhang Zhao had closed his oration, then laughed and said, "How can the common birds understand the long flight of the cranes? Let me use an illustration. A man has fallen into a terrible malady. First the physician must administer hashish, then soothing drugs until his viscera shall be calmed into harmonious action. When the sick man's body shall have been reduced to quietude, then may he be given strong meats to strengthen him and powerful drugs to correct the disorder. Thus the disease will be quite expelled, and the man restored to health. If the physician does not wait till the humors and pulse are in harmony, but throws in his strong drugs too early, it will be difficult to restore the patient.

41 "My master suffered defeat at Runan 여남 and went to Liu Biao. He had then less than one thousand soldiers and only three generals---Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, and Zhao Zilong. That was indeed a time of extreme weakness. Xinye was a secluded, rustic town with few inhabitants and scanty supplies, and my master only retired there as a temporary refuge. How could he even think of occupying and holding it? Yet, with insufficient force, in a weak city, with untrained men and inadequate supplies, we burned Xiahou Dun 하후돈 at Bowang Slope 박망파, drowned Cao Ren 조인 and Cao Hong 조홍 and their army in the White River 백하, and set them in terror as they fled. I doubt whether the two ancient heroes would have done any better. As to the surrender of Liu Zong 유종, Liu Bei knew nothing of it. And he was too noble and too righteous to take advantage of a kinsman's straits to seize his inheritance. As for the defeat at Dangyang, it must be remembered that Liu Bei was hampered with a huge voluntary following of common people, with their aged relatives and their children, whom he was too humane to abandon. He never thought of taking Jiangling 강릉, but willingly suffered with his people. This is a striking instance of his magnanimity.

42 "Small forces are no match for large armies. Victory and defeat are common episodes in every campaign. The great Founder of the Hans 한고조 suffered many defeats at the hands of Xiang Yu 항우, but Liu Bang 유방 finally conquered at Gaixia 해하, and that battle was decisive. Was not this due to the strategy of Han Xin 한신 who, though he had long served Liu Bang, had never won a victory. Indeed real statesmanship and the restoration of stable government is a master plan far removed from the vapid discourses and debates of a lot of bragging babblers and specious and deceitful talkers, who, as they themselves say, are immeasureably superior to the rest of humankind but who, when it comes to deeds and decisions to meet the infinite and constant vicissitudes of affairs, fail to throw up a single capable person. Truly such people are the laughing stock of all the world."

43 Zhang Zhao found no reply to this diatribe.

44 But another in the assembly lifted up his voice, saying, "But what of Cao Cao's present position? There he is, encamped with one hundred legions and a thousand leaders. Whither he goes he is invincible as wriggling dragon, and whither he looks he is as fearsome as roaring tiger. He seems to have taken Jiangxia already, as we see."

45 The speaker was Yu Fan 우번.

46 And Zhuge Liang replied, "Cao Cao has acquired the swarms of Yuan Shao and stolen the crowds of Liu Biao. Yet I care not for all his mob legions."

47 Yu Fan smiled icily, saying, "When you got thrashed at Dangyang and in desperation sent this way and that to ask help, even then did you not care? But do you think big talk really takes people in?"

48 Zhuge Liang replied, "Liu Bei had a few thousand scrupulous soldiers to oppose against a million fierce brutes. He retired to Xiakou 하구 for breathing space. The South Land have strong and good soldiers, and there are ample supplies, and the Great River is a defense. Is now a time for you to convince your lord to bend the knee before a renegade, to be careless of his honor and reputation? As a fact Liu Bei is not the sort of man to fear such a rebel as Cao Cao."

49 Yu Fan had nothing to reply.

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,