삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 057-04 와룡과 봉추

此時孔明按察四郡未回。門吏傳報江東名士龐統,特來相投。玄德久聞統名,便教請入相見。統見玄德,長揖不拜,玄德見統貌陋,心中亦不悅,乃問統曰:「足下遠來不易?」統不即取出魯肅書并孔明投呈,但答曰:「聞皇叔招賢納士,特來相投。」玄德曰:「荊,楚稍定,苦無閒職。此去東南數百里,有一縣名耒陽縣,缺一縣宰,屈公任之。如後有缺,卻當重用。」

統思玄德待我何薄,欲以才學動之;見孔明不在,只得勉強相辭而去。統到耒陽縣,不理政事,終日飲酒為樂;一應錢糧詞訟,並不理會。有人報知玄德,言龐統將耒陽縣事盡廢。玄德怒曰:「豎儒焉敢亂吾法度!」遂喚張飛分付:「引從人去荊南諸縣巡視。如有不公不法者,就便究問。恐於事有不明處,可與孫乾同去。」

張飛領了言語,與孫乾同至耒陽縣。軍民官吏,皆出郭迎接,獨不見縣令。飛問曰:「縣令何在?」同僚覆曰:「龐縣令自到任及今,將百餘日,縣中之事,並不理問,每日飲酒,自旦及夜,只在醉鄉。今日宿酒未醒,猶臥不起。」

張飛大怒,欲擒之。孫乾曰:「龐士元乃高明之人,未可輕忽。且到縣問之。如果於理不當,治罪未晚。」飛乃入縣,正廳上坐定,教縣令來見。統衣冠不整,扶醉而出。飛怒曰:「吾兄以汝為人,令作縣宰,汝焉敢盡廢縣事?」統笑曰:「將軍以吾廢了縣中何事?」飛曰:「汝到任百餘日,終日在醉鄉,安得不廢政事?」統曰:「量百里小縣,些許公事,何難決斷?將軍少坐,待我發落。」隨即喚公吏,將百餘日所積公務,都取來剖斷,吏皆紛然齎抱案卷,上廳訴詞。被告人等,環跪階下。統手中批判,口中發落,耳內聽詞,曲直分明,並無分毫差錯,民皆叩首拜伏。不到半日,將百餘日之事,盡斷畢了,投筆於地,而對張飛曰:「所廢之事何在?曹操,孫權,吾視之若掌上觀文,量此小縣,何足介意!」

飛大驚,下席謝曰:「先生大才,小子失敬。吾當於兄長處極力舉薦。」統乃將出魯肅薦書。飛曰:「先生初見吾兄,何不將出?」統曰:「若便將出,似乎專藉薦書來干謁矣。」飛顧謂孫乾曰:「非公則失一大賢也。」遂辭統回荊州,見玄德,具說龐統之才。玄德大驚曰:「屈待大賢,吾之過也!」飛將魯肅薦書呈上。玄德拆視之。書略曰:「龐士元非百里之才,使處治中別駕之任,始當展其驥足。如以貌取之,恐負所學,終為他人所用,實可惜也。」

玄德看畢,正在嗟歎,忽報孔明回。玄德接入,禮畢。孔明先問曰:「龐軍師近日無恙否?」玄德曰:「近治耒陽縣,好酒廢事。」孔明笑曰:「士元非百里之才,胸中之學,勝亮十倍。亮曾有薦書在士元處,曾達主公否?」玄德曰:「今日方得子敬書,卻未見先生之書。」孔明曰:「大賢若處小任,往往以酒糊塗,倦於視事。」玄德曰:「若非吾弟所言,險失大賢。」隨即令張飛往耒陽縣請龐統到荊州,玄德下階請罪。統方將出孔明所薦之書。玄德看書中之意,言鳳雛到日,宜即重用。玄德喜曰:「昔司馬德操言:『伏龍,鳳雛,兩人得一,可安天下。』今吾二人皆得,漢室可興矣。」遂拜龐統為副軍師中郎將,與孔明共贊方略,教練軍士,聽候征伐。

He arrived at a moment that Zhuge Liang was absent on an inspection journey, but the doorkeeper announced him and said he had come to throw in his lot with Liu Bei. He was received, for he was no stranger in name.

77 When Pang Tong was admitted, he made the ordinary salutation but did not make an obeisance and this, coupled with his ugly face, did not please his host.

78 "You have come a long and arduous journey," said Liu Bei.

79 At this point the suitor should have produced his letters from Zhuge Liang and Lu Su, but did not.

80 Instead he replied, "I hear, O Imperial Uncle, that you are welcoming the wise and receiving scholars, wherefore I have come to join your service."

81 "The country is decently peaceful now, and unfortunately there is no office vacant. But away to the northeast there is a small magistracy, Leiyang, which needs a chief. I can offer you that post until there should be something more fitting."

82 Pang Tong thought this rather poor welcome for a person of his talent. But his friend was absent, so he could do nothing but control his annoyance and accept. He took his leave and started.

83 But when he arrived at his post, he paid no attention to business at all. He gave himself up entirely to dissipation. The taxes were not collected nor were lawsuits decided.

84 News of this reaching Liu Bei, who was angry and said, "Here is this stiff-necked pedant throwing my administration into disorder."

85 So Liu Bei sent Zhang Fei to the county with orders to make a general inspection of the whole county and look into any irregularities and disorders. But as Liu Bei thought there might be some tact needed, Sun Qian was also sent as coadjutor.

86 In due course the inquisitors arrived at Leiyang, where they were received by the officials and welcomed by the people at the boundary. But the Magistrate did not appear.

87 "Where is the Magistrate?" asked Zhang Fei.

88 "Ever since his arrival, a hundred days ago and more, he has attended to no business, but spends his days from morn to night in wine-bobbing and is always intoxicated. Just now he is sleeping off a debauch and is not yet risen."

89 This raised Zhang Fei's choler, and he would have dismissed the offender forthwith had not his colleague said, "Pang Tong is a man of great ability, and it would be wrong to deal with him thus summarily. Let us inquire into it. If he is really so guilty, we will punish his offense."

90 So they went to the magistracy, took their seats in the Hall of Justice, and summoned the Magistrate before them. He came with dress all disordered and still under the influence of wine.

91 "My brother took you for a decent person," said Zhang Fei, angrily, "and sent you here as magistrate. How dare you throw the affairs of the county into disorder?"

92 "Do you think I have done as you say, General?" said Pang Tong. "What affairs have I disordered?"

93 "You have been here over a hundred days and spent the whole time in dissipation. Is not that disorderly?"

94 "Where would be the difficulty in dealing with the business of a trifling county like this? I pray you, General, sit down for a while till I have settled the cases."

95 Thereupon Pang Tong bade the clerks bring in all the arrears and he would settle them at once. So they brought in the piles of papers and ordered the suitors to appear. They came and knelt in the hall while the magistrate, brush in hand, noted this and minuted that, all the while listening to the pleadings. Soon all the difficulties and disputes were adjusted, and never a mistake was made, as the satisfied bows of the people proved. By midday the whole of the cases were disposed of, and the arrears of the hundred days settled and decided.

96 This done, the Magistrate threw aside his pen and turned to the inquisitors, saying, "Where is the disorder? When I can take on Cao Cao and Sun Quan as easily as I can read this paper, what attention from me is needed for the business of this paltry place?"

97 Zhang Fei was astonished at the man's ability, rose from his seat, and crossed over, saying, "You are indeed a marvel, Master. I have not treated you respectfully enough, but now I shall commend you to my brother with all my might."

98 Then Pang Tong drew forth Lu Su's letter and showed it to Zhang Fei.

99 "Why did you not show this to my brother when you first saw him?" asked Zhang Fei.

100 "If I had had a chance, I would have done so. But is it likely that one would just take advantage of a letter of commendation to make a visit?"

101 Zhang Fei turned to his colleague and said, "You just saved a wise man for us."

102 Sun Qian and Zhang Fei left the magistracy and returned to Liu Bei to whom they related what had happened.

103 Liu Bei then seemed to be conscious of his error and said, "I have been wrong. I have behaved unjustly to a learned person."

104 Zhang Fei then gave his brother the letter in which Lu Su had recommended Pang Tong. Opening it he read:

105 "Pang Tong is not the sort of person to be met with in any day's march. Employ him in some capacity where extra ordinary talent is required, and his powers will declare themselves. Beware of judging him by his looks, or you may lose the advantage of his abilities, and some other will gain him. This would be a misfortune."

106 While Liu Bei was feeling cast down at the mistake he had made, as shown by the letter, they announced the return of Zhuge Liang.

107 Soon Zhuge Liang entered the hall, and the first question he put after the formal salutations was: "Is Directing-Instructor Pang Tong quite well?"

108 "He is in charge of Leiyang," replied Liu Bei, "where he is given to wine and neglects his business."

109 Zhuge Liang laughed, saying, "My friend Pang Tong has extraordinary abilities and ten times my knowledge. I gave him a letter for you, my lord. Did he present it?"

110 "This very day I have received a letter, but from Lu Su. I have had no letter written by you."

111 "When a person of transcendent abilities is sent to a paltry post, he always turns to wine out of simple ennui," said Zhuge Liang.

112 "If it had not been for what my brother said, I should have lost a great scholar," said Liu Bei.

113 Then he lost no time, but sent Zhang Fei off to the northeast to request Pang Tong to come to Jingzhou City. When he arrived, Liu Bei went out to meet him and at the foot of the steps asked pardon for his mistake. Then Pang Tong produced the letter that Zhuge Liang had given him. What Liu Bei read therein was this:

114 "As soon as the Young Phoenix shall arrive, he should be given an important post."

115 Liu Bei rejoiced indeed as he read it, and he said, "Water Mirror said of the two men, Sleeping Dragon and Young Phoenix, that any man who obtained the help of either of them could restore the empire when he would. As I now have them both, surely the Hans will rise again."

116 Then he appointed Pang Tong as Vice Directing Instructor and General, and the two strategists began training the army for its work of subjugation.

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,