火光覆太虛,
不知天地外,
暑氣更何如?

又有詩曰:

赤帝司權柄,陰雲不敢生。
雲蒸孤鶴喘,海熱巨鰲驚。
忍捨溪邊坐,慵拋竹裏行。
如何沙塞客,擐甲復長征?

孔明統領大軍,正行之際,忽哨馬飛報:「孟獲退往禿龍洞中不出,將洞口要路壘斷,內有兵把守;山惡嶺峻,不能前進。」孔明請呂凱問之,凱曰:「某曾聞此洞有條路,實不知詳細。」蔣琬曰:「孟獲四次遭擒,既已喪膽,安敢再出?況今天氣炎熱,軍馬疲乏,征之無益;不如班師回國。」孔明曰:「若如此,正中孟獲之計也。吾軍一退,彼必乘勢追之。今已到此,安有復回之理!」遂令王平領數百軍為前部;卻教新降蠻兵引路,尋西北小徑而入。

前到一泉,人馬皆渴,爭飲此水。王平探有此路,回報孔明。比及到大寨之時,皆不能言,但指口而已。孔明大驚,知是中毒,遂自駕小車,引數十人前來看時,見一潭清水,深不見底,水氣凜凜,軍不敢試。孔明下車,登高望之,四壁峰嶺,鳥雀不聞,心中大疑。

忽望見遠遠山岡之上,有一古廟。孔明攀籐附葛而到,見一石屋之中,塑一將軍端坐,旁有石碑,乃漢伏波將軍馬援之廟:因平蠻到此,土人立廟祀之。孔明再拜曰:「亮受先帝託孤之重,今承聖旨,到此平蠻;欲待蠻方既平,然後伐魏吞吳,重安漢室。今軍士不識地理,誤飲毒水,不能出聲。萬望尊神,念本朝恩義,通靈顯聖,護佑三軍!」

祈禱已畢,出廟尋土人問之。隱隱望見對山一老叟扶杖而來,形容甚異。孔明請老叟入廟,禮畢,對坐於石上。孔明問曰:「丈者高姓?」老叟曰:「老夫久聞大國丞相隆名,幸得拜見。蠻方之人,多蒙丞相活命,皆感恩不淺。」孔明問泉水之故,老叟答曰:「軍所飲水,乃啞泉之水也,飲之難言,數日而死。此泉之外,又有三泉:東南有一泉,其水至冷,人若飲水,嚥喉無暖氣,身軀軟弱而死,名曰柔泉;正南有一泉,人若濺之在身,手足皆黑而死,名曰黑泉;西南有一泉,沸如熱湯,人若浴之,皮肉盡脫而死,名曰滅泉。敝處有此四泉,毒氣所聚,無藥可治,又煙瘴甚起,惟未、申、酉三個時辰可往來;餘者時辰,皆瘴氣密布,觸之即死。」   

孔明曰:「如此則蠻方不可平矣。蠻方不平,安能並吞吳、魏,再興漢室?有負先帝託孤之重,生不如死也!」老叟曰:「丞相勿憂。老夫指引一處,可以解之。」孔明曰:「老丈有何高見,望乞指教。」老叟曰:「此去正西數裡,有一山谷,入內行二十裡,有一溪名曰萬安溪。上有一高士,號為萬安隱者;此人不出溪有數十餘年矣。其草庵後有一泉,名安樂泉。人若中毒,汲其水飲之即癒。有人或生疥癩,或感瘴氣,於萬安溪內浴之,自然無事,更兼庵前有一等草,名曰薤葉芸香。人若口含一葉,則瘴氣不染。丞相可速往求之。」孔明拜謝,問曰:「承丈者如此活命之德,感刻不勝。願聞高姓。」老叟入廟曰:「吾乃本處山神,奉伏波將軍之命,特來指引。」言訖、喝開廟後石壁而入。孔明驚訝不已,再拜廟神,尋舊路上車,回到大寨。

57 In the meantime, as the Mangs did not appear, Zhuge Liang gave orders to leave the West Er River and push south. It was then the sixth month, and blazing hot. A poet sang about the bitter heat of the south:

58 The hills are sere, the valleys dry, 
A raging heat fills all the sky, 
Throughout the whole wide universe 
No spot exists where heat is worse.

59 Another poem runs:

60 The glowing sun darts out fierce rays, 
No cloud gives shelter from the blaze. 
In parching heat there pants a crane, 
The whale swims through the hissing main. 
The brook's cool margin now I love, 
Or idle stroll through bamboo grove. 
I would not march to deserts far 
In leathern jerkin donned for war.

61 Just at the moment of setting out southward, the spies brought news of Meng Huo's retreat: "Meng Huo has fled into the Bald Dragon Ravine, and there he has barricaded the entrance. The valley is garrisoned; the hills are precipitous and even impassable."

62 So Zhuge Liang called in Lu Kai and questioned him, but he did not know exactly the conditions.

63 Then out spoke Jiang Wan, saying, "Meng Huo's repeated captures have broken his spirit so that he dare not take the field again. Our soldiers are exhausted with this intense heat, and little is to be gained by prolonging the campaign. The best move would be to return to our own country."

64 "If we do this, we shall fall victims to Meng Huo's scheme," said Zhuge Liang. "If we retreated, he would certainly follow. Beside, having advanced so far, it would be fruitless to turn back now."

65 Wang Ping was sent on with the advanced guard and some of the Mangs as guides to seek an entrance on the northwest. They found the road and came to the first spring---the Dumb Spring---, of which the thirsty men and horses drank freely.

66 Wang Ping returned to report his success, but by the time he reached camp, he and all his soldiers were speechless. They could only point to their mouths.

67 Zhuge Liang knew they had been poisoned, and was alarmed. He went forward in his light chariot to find out the cause. He came to the spring. The water was very deep and dark green. A mass of vapor hung about the surface rising and falling. They would not touch the water. Zhuge Liang went up the hills to look around, but could see nothing except a rampart of mountains. A deep silence hung over all, unbroken by the cry even of a bird. He was perplexed.

68 Presently he noticed an old temple away up among the crags. By the aid of the lianas and creepers he managed to clamber up, and in a chamber hewn out of the rock he saw the figure of an officer. Beside it was a tablet saying the temple was dedicated to Ma Yuan, the famous general who had preceded him in that country. The natives had erected it to sacrifice to the leader who had headed the campaign against the Mangs.

69 Zhuge Liang, much impressed, bowed before the image of the great leader, and said, "Your humble servant received a sacred trust, the protection of the son of the First Ruler. That son, the present Emperor, sent him here to subdue the Mangs that the land might be free from peril when he decided to attack Wei and take possession of Wu and thereby restore the glory of Han. But the soldiers are ignorant of the country, and some of them have drunk of a poisonous spring so that they have become dumb. Your servant earnestly prays your honored spirit, out of regard for the kindness and justice of the present Emperor, to reveal your spiritual character and manifest your holiness by safeguarding and assisting the army."

70 Having prayed thus, Zhuge Liang left the temple. While seeking some native whom he might question, he saw in the distance, on a hill opposite, an aged man leaning on a staff. He approached, and as he drew nearer, Zhuge Liang noted his extraordinary appearance. When he had reached the temple, Zhuge Liang asked the venerable visitor to walk in. After the salutations, the old man sat on the stones, and Zhuge Liang opened the conversation with the usual questions.

71 The old gentleman replied, "Sir Minister, I know you well by repute, and am happy to meet you. Many of the Mangs owe their lives to you, and all have been deeply impressed by your kindness."

72 Then Zhuge Liang returned to the matter nearest his heart, the mystery of the spring.

73 The old man told him, "That is the Dumb Spring that your soldiers have drunk, and they will die in a few days. Besides that, there are other three poisonous streams called Destruction Spring, Black Spring, and Weak Spring. All miasma gathers there in the four streams, and it only vaporizes during the two watch before sunset."

74 "In short, the Mangs cannot be conquered," said Zhuge Liang when the old man had finished. "And Wu cannot be repressed, nor Wei overcome. And the Hans cannot be restored. So, I fail in the task set me by my Prince: I wish that I might die."

75 "Be not so cast down, O Minister," said the aged one. "I can lead you to a place where you may counteract all this."

76 "I would ask for your instruction, Venerable One," said Zhuge Liang. "What exalted advice have you to confer upon me? I hope you will instruct me."

77 "West of this, not far off, is a valley, and seven miles from its entrance is a stream called the 'Spring of Eternal Peace', near which there lives a recluse known as the Hermit of the Stream. He has not left the valley these twenty years. Behind his hut there gushes out a spring of water, called the 'Spring of Peace and Joy'. This is the antidote to your poison. Bathing in its waters is a cure for skin diseases and for malaria. Moreover, near the hut grows an herb called the 'garlic-leaved fragrance'. Chewing a leaf of this safeguards one from malaria. You can do no better than go to the hut of the recluse forthwith and get these remedies."

78 Zhuge Liang humbly thanked his aged counselor, and said, "Venerable Sir, I am profoundly affected by your merciful kindness and compassion. May I ask again by what name may call you?"

79 The old man rose and entered the temple, saying, "I am the Spirit of this mountain, sent by Ma Yuan to guide you."

80 As he said this, he shouted at the solid rock behind the temple, and it opened of itself and let him in.

81 Zhuge Liang's astonishment was beyond words. He made another obeisance to the Spirit of the temple and went down by the way he had come. Then he returned to his camp.

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,