삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 099-05 공명과 중달

漢中人報入成都。此時孔明病好多時,每日操練人馬,習學八陣之法,盡皆精熟,欲取中原﹔聽得這個消息,遂喚張嶷、王平分付曰:「汝二人先引一千兵去守陳倉故道,以當魏兵﹔吾卻提大兵便來接應。」二人告曰:「人報魏軍四十萬,詐稱八十萬,聲勢甚大,如何只與一千兵去守隘口?倘魏兵大至,何以拒之?」孔明曰:「吾欲多與,恐士卒辛苦耳。」

嶷與平面面相覷,皆不敢去。孔明曰:「若有疏失,非汝等之罪。不必多言,可疾去。」二人又哀告曰:「丞相欲殺某二人,就此請殺,只不敢去。」孔明笑曰:「何其愚也!吾令汝等去,自有主見。吾昨夜仰觀天文,見畢星躔於太陰之分,此月內必有大雨淋漓。魏兵雖有四十萬,安敢深入險阻之地?因此不用多軍,決不受害。吾將大軍皆在漢中安居一月,待魏兵退,那時吾疾出以大兵掩之。以逸待勞,吾十萬之眾可勝魏兵四十萬也。」

二人聽畢,方大喜,拜辭而去。孔明隨統大軍出漢中,傳令教各處隘口,預備乾柴草料細糧,俱夠一月人馬支用,以防秋雨﹔將大軍寬限一月,先給衣食,俟候出征。

卻說曹真、司馬懿同領大軍,逕到陳倉城內,不見一間房屋﹔尋土人問之,皆言孔明回時放火燒毀。曹真便要從陳倉道進發。懿曰:「不可輕進。我夜觀天文,見畢星躔於太陰之分,此月內必有大雨﹔若深入重地,或勝則可,倘有疏虞,人馬受苦,要退則難。且宜在城中搭起窩鋪住紮,以防陰雨。」

真從其言。未及半月,天雨大降,淋漓不止。陳倉城外,平地水深三尺,軍器盡濕,人不得睡,晝夜不安。大雨連降三十日,馬無草料,死者無數,軍士怨聲不絕。傳入洛陽,魏主設壇,求晴不得。黃門侍郎王肅上疏曰:

前志有之:「千里饋糧,士有飢色﹔樵蘇後爨,師不宿飽。」此謂平途之行軍者也。又況於深入險阻,鑿路而行,則其為勞,必相百倍也。今又加之以霖雨,山坡峻滑,眾逼而不展,糧遠而難繼:實行軍之大忌也。
聞曹真發已逾月,而行未半谷,治道功大,戰士悉作;是彼偏得以逸待勞,乃兵家之所憚也。言之前代,則武王伐紂,出關而復還﹔論之近事,則武、文征權,臨江而不濟:豈非順天知時,通於權變者哉?願陛下念水雨艱劇之故,休息士卒﹔後日有釁,乘時用之。所謂悅以犯難,民忘其死者也。
  魏主覽表,正在猶豫,楊阜、華歆亦上疏諫。魏主即下詔,遣使詔曹真、司馬懿還朝。

卻說曹真與司馬懿商議曰:「今連陰三十日,軍無戰心,各有思歸之意,如何禁?」懿曰:「不如且回。」真曰:「倘孔明追來,怎生退之?」懿曰:「先伏兩軍斷後,方可退兵。」正議間,忽使命來召。二人遂將大軍前隊作後隊,後隊作前隊,徐徐而退。

卻說孔明計算一月秋雨將盡,天尚未晴,自提一軍屯於城固,又傳令教大軍會於赤坡駐紮。孔明升帳喚眾將言曰:「吾料魏兵必走,魏主必下詔來取曹真、司馬懿回兵。吾若追之,必有準備﹔不如任他且去,再作良圖。」忽王平令人報說魏兵已回。孔明分付來人,傳與王平,不可追襲。吾自有破魏兵之策。正是:

魏兵縱使能埋伏,
漢相原來不肯追。

未知孔明怎生破魏,且看下文分解。

116 The defenders of Hanzhong brought the news to Zhuge Liang, then quite recovered and engaged in training his army and elaborating the "Eight Arrays". All was in an efficient state and ready for an attack on Changan.

117 When Zhuge Liang heard of the intended attack, he called up Zhang Ni and Wang Ping and gave orders: "You are to lead one thousand troops to Chencang and garrison that road so as to check the Wei army."

118 The two replied, "It is said the Wei army numbers four hundred thousand, though they pretend to have eight hundred thousand. But they are very numerous, and a thousand troops is a very small force to meet them."

119 Zhuge Liang replied, "I would give you more, but I fear to make it hard for the soldiers. If there be a failure, I shall not hold you responsible. I send you thus; you may be sure there is a meaning in it. I observed the stars yesterday, and I see there will be a tremendous rain this month. The army of Wei may consist of any number of legions, but they will be unable to penetrate into a mountainous country. So there is no need to send a large force. You will come to no harm, and I shall lead the main body into Hanzhong and rest for a month while the enemy retreats. Then I shall smite them. My strong army needs only one hundred thousand to defeat their worn four hundred thousand. Do not say any more, but get off quickly."

120 This satisfied Wang Ping and Zhang Ni, and they left, while Zhuge Liang led the main body out toward Hanzhong. Moreover, every station was ordered to lay in a stock of wood and straw and grain enough for a whole month's use, ready against the autumn rains. A month's holiday was given, and food and clothing were issued in advance. The expedition was postponed for the present.

121 When Cao Zhen and Sima Yi approached Chencang and entered the city, they could not find a single house.

122 They questioned some of the people near, who said, "Zhuge Liang had burned everything before he left."

123 Then Cao Zhen proposed to advance along the road, but Sima Yi opposed, saying that the stars foretold much rain.

124 "I have watched the Heaven, and the stars' movement signals long rains. If we get deep in a difficult country and are always victorious, it is all very well. But if we lose, we shall not get out again. Better remain in this city and build what shelter we can against the rains."

125 Cao Zhen followed his advice. In the middle of the month the rain began, and came down in a deluge so that the surrounding country was three feet under water. The equipment of the soldiers was soaked, and the soldiers themselves could get no place to sleep. For a whole month the rain continued. The horses could not be fed, and the soldiers grumbled incessantly. They sent to Luoyang, and the Ruler of Wei himself ceremonially prayed for fine weather, but with no effect.

126 Minister Wang Su sent up a memorial:

127 "The histories say that when supplies have to be conveyed a long distance, the soldiers are starved; if they have to gather brushwood before they can cook, then the army is not full fed. This applies to ordinary expeditions in an ordinary country. If, in addition, the army has to march through a difficult country and roads have to be cut, the labor is doubled. Now this expedition is hindered by rain and steep and slippery hills; movement is cramped and supplies can only be maintained with difficulty. All is most unpropitious to the army.

128 "Cao Zhen has been gone over a month and has only got half through the valley. Road making is monopolizing all energies, and the fighting soldiers have to work on them. The state of affairs is the opposite to ideal, and the fighting soldiers dislike it.

129 "I may quote certain parallels. King Wu of Zhou attacked the last king of Shang Dynasty; he went through the pass, but returned. In recent times Emperors Cao and Pi, attacking Sun Quan, reached the river, and went no farther. Did they not recognize limitations and act accordingly? I pray Your Majesty remember the grave difficulties caused by the rain and put an end to this expedition. By and by another occasion will arise for using force, and in the joy of overcoming difficulties the people will forget death."

130 The Ruler of Wei could not make up his mind, but two other memorials by Yang Fu and Hua Xin followed, and then he issued the command to return, which was sent to Cao Zhen and Sima Yi.

131 Cao Zhen and Sima Yi had already discussed the abandonment of the expedition.

132 Cao Zhen had said, "We have had rain for a whole month, and the soldiers are downhearted and think only of getting home again. How can we stop them?"

133 Sima Yi replied, "Return is best."
134 "If Zhuge Liang pursue, how shall we repulse him?"

135 "We can leave an ambush."

136 While they were discussing this matter, the Emperor's command arrived. Whereupon they faced about and marched homeward.

137 Now Zhuge Liang had reckoned upon this month of rain and so had had his troops camped in a safe place. Then he ordered the main army to assemble at Red Slope and camp there.

138 He summoned his officers to his tent and said, "In my opinion the enemy must retire, for the Ruler of Wei will issue such an order. To retreat needs preparation, and if we pursue, we will fall in their trap. So we will let them retire without molestation. Some other plan must be evolved."

139 So when Wang Ping sent news of the retreat of the enemy, the messenger carried back the order not to pursue.

140 It is only lost labor to cover retreat 
When your enemy does not pursue.

141 By what means Zhuge Liang intended to defeat Wei will be told in the next chapter.

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,