삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 120-03 삼분천하는 한바탕 꿈으로

卻說羊祜聞陸抗罷兵,孫皓失德,見吳有可乘之機,乃作表遣人往洛陽請伐吳。其略曰:

夫期運雖由天所授,而功業必因人而成。今江淮之險,不如劍閣;孫皓之暴,過於劉禪;吳人之困,甚於巴蜀;而大晉兵力,盛於往時,不於此際平一四海,而更阻兵相守,使天下困於征戍,經歷盛衰,不能長久也。
  司馬炎觀表,大喜,便令興師。賈充、荀勗、馮純三人,力言不可,炎因此不行。祜聞上不允其請,歎曰:「天下不如意者,十常八九。今天與不取,豈不大可惜哉!」

至咸寧四年,羊祜入朝奏辭歸鄉養病。炎問曰:「卿有何安邦之策,以教寡人?」祜曰:「孫皓暴虐已甚,於今可不戰而克。若皓不幸而歿,更立賢君,則吳非陛下所能得也。」炎大悟曰:「卿今便提兵往伐,若何?」祜曰:「臣年老多病,不堪當此任。陛下另選智勇之士,可也。」遂辭炎而歸。

是年十一月,羊祜病危,司馬炎車駕親臨其家問安。炎至臥榻前,祜下淚曰:「臣萬死不能報陛下也!」炎亦泣曰:「朕悔不能用卿伐吳之事。今日誰可繼卿之志?」祜含淚而言曰:「臣死矣,不敢不盡愚誠。右將軍杜預可任。若欲伐吳,須當用之。」炎曰:「舉善薦賢,乃美事也;卿何薦人於朝,即自焚其奏稿,不令人知耶!」祜曰:「拜官公朝,謝恩私門,臣所不取也。」

言訖而亡。炎大哭回宮,敕贈太傅鉅平侯。南州百姓聞羊祜死,罷市而哭。江南守邊將士,亦皆哭泣,襄陽人思祜存日,常遊於峴山,遂建廟立碑,四時祭之。往來人見其碑文者,無不流涕,故名為「墮淚碑」。後人有詩嘆曰:

曉日登臨感晉臣
古碑零落峴山春
松間殘露頻頻滴
疑是當年墮淚人

晉王以羊祜之言,拜杜預為鎮南大將軍都督荊州事。杜預為人老成練達,好學不倦,最喜讀左丘明春秋傳,坐臥常自攜,每出入必使人持左傳於馬前,時人謂之「左傳癖」;及奉晉主之命,在襄陽撫民養兵,準備伐吳。

此時吳國丁奉、陸抗皆死,吳主皓每宴群臣,皆令沉醉,又置黃門郎十人為糾彈官。宴罷之後,各奏過失,有犯者或剝其面,或鑿其眼。由是國人大懼。晉益州刺史王濬上疏請伐吳。

64 Now when Yang Hu, on the Jin side of the frontier, heard that his opponent Lu Kang had been removed from his command and that the conduct of the Ruler of Wu had become wholly unreasonable, he knew that the time was near for him to conquer Wu. Wherefore he presented a memorial:

65 "Although fate is superior to human, yet success depends upon human effort. Now as the geographic difficulties of the South Land are not as those of the River Lands, while the ferocity of Sun Hao exceeds that of Liu Shan, the misery of the people of Wu exceeds that of the dwellers in Shu. Our armies are stronger than ever before, and if we miss this opportunity to bring the whole land under one rule, but continue to weary our army with continual watching and cause the world to groan under the burden of militarism, then our efficiency will decline and we shall not endure."

66 When Sima Yan read this, he gave orders for the army to move. But three officers---Jia Chong, Xun Xu, and Feng Dan---opposed it, and the orders were withdrawn.

67 Yang Hu was disappointed at the news and said, "What a pity it is that of ten affairs in the world, one always meets with eight or nine vexations!"

68 In the fourth year of Universal Tranquillity, in Jin calendar (AD 278), Yang Hu went to court and asked leave to retire on account of ill health.

69 Before granting him leave to go, Sima Yan asked, "Do you have plans to propose to settle the empire?"

70 Yang Hu replied, "Sun Hao is a very cruel ruler and could be conquered without fighting. If he were to die and a wise successor sat upon his throne, Your Majesty would never be able to gain possession of Wu."

71 The Ruler of Jin realized the truth, and he said, "Suppose your army attacked now. What then?"

72 "I am now too old and too ill for the task," replied Yang Hu. "Some other bold and capable leader must be found."

73 Yang Hu left the court and retired to his home. Toward the end of the year he was nigh unto death, and the Ruler of Jin went to visit him. The sight of his master at his bedside brought tears to the eyes of the faithful old leader.

74 "If I died a myriad times, I could never requite Your Majesty," said Yang Hu.

75 Sima Yan also wept, saying, "My great grief is that I could not take advantage of your abilities to attack Wu. Who now is there to carry out your design?"

76 Hesitatingly the sick man replied, "I am dying and must be wholly sincere. General Du Yu is equal to the task, and is the one man to attack Wu."

77 Sima Yan said, "How beautiful it is to bring good people into prominence! But why did you write a memorial recommending certain people and then burn the draft so that no one knew?"

78 The dying man answered, "I bowed before the officials in open court, but I did not beseech the kindness of the private attendants."
79 So Yang Hu died, and Sima Yan wailed for him and then returned to his palace. He conferred on the dead leader the posthumous rank of Imperial Guardian and Lord of Juping. The traders closed their shops out of respect to his memory, and all the frontier camps were filled with wailing. The people of Xiangyang, recalling that he loved to wander on the Xian Hills, built there a temple to him and set up a stone and sacrificed regularly at the four seasons. The passers-by were moved to tears when they read Yang Hu's name on the tablet, so that it came to be called "The Stone of Tears".

80 I saw the fragments of a shattered stone 
One spring time on the hillside, when, alone, 
I walked to greet the sun. The pines distilled 
Big drops of dew unceasing; sadness filled 
My heart. I knew this was the Stone of Tears, 
The stone of memory of long-past years.

81 On the strength of Yang Hu's recommendation, Du Yu was made Commander of Jingzhou, and the title of General Who Guards the South was conferred upon him. He was a man of great experience, untiring in study and devoted to the Zuo Volume, the book of commentaries composed by Zuo Qiuming upon the Spring and Autumn Annals. In hours of leisure, a copy of Zuo Volume was never out of his hand; and when he went abroad, an attendant rode in front with the beloved book. He was said to be "Zuo mad".

82 Du Yu went to Xiangyang and began by being kind to the people and caring for his soldiers. By this time Wu had lost by death both Ding Feng and Lu Kang.

83 The conduct of the Ruler of Wu waxed worse and worse. He used to give great banquets whereat intoxication was universal. He appointed Rectors of Feasts to observe all the faults committed by guests, and after these banquets all offenders were punished, some by flaying the face, others by gouging out the eyes. Everyone went in terror of these Rectors.

84 Wang Jun, Imperial Protector of Yizhou, sent in a memorial advising an attack upon Wu. 

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,