삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 033-04 요동 평정

并州既定,操商議西擊烏桓。曹洪等曰:「袁熙、袁尚兵敗將亡,勢窮力盡。遠投沙漠。我今引兵西擊,倘劉備、劉表乘虛襲許都,我救應不及,為禍不淺矣。請回師勿進為上。」郭嘉曰:「諸公所言差矣:主公雖威震天下,沙漠之人,恃其邊遠,必不設備;乘其無備,卒然擊之,必可破也。且袁紹與烏桓有恩,而尚與熙兄弟猶存,不可不除。劉表坐談之客耳,自知才不足以御劉備,重任之,則恐不能制;輕任之,則備不為用。雖虛國遠征,公無憂也。」操曰:「奉孝之言極是。」

遂率大小三軍,車數千輛,望前進發。但見黃沙漠漠,狂風四起;道路崎嶇,人馬難行。操有回軍之心,問於郭嘉。嘉此時不服水土,臥病車中。操泣曰:「因我欲平沙漠,使公遠涉艱辛,以至染病,吾心何安?」嘉曰:「某感丞相大恩,雖死不能報萬一。」操曰:「吾見北地崎嶇,意欲回軍,若何?」嘉曰:「兵貴神速。今千里襲人,輜重多而難以趨利,不如輕兵兼道以出,掩其不備。但須得識徑路者為引導耳。」

遂留郭嘉於易州養病,求鄉導官以引路。人薦袁紹舊將田疇深知此境,操召而問之。疇曰:「此道夏秋間有水,淺不通車馬,深不載舟楫,最難行動;不如回軍,從盧龍口越白檀之險,出空虛之地,前近柳城,掩其不備,冒頓可一戰而擒也。」

操從其言,封田疇為靖北將軍,作鄉導官,為前驅。張遼為次。操自押後,倍道輕騎而進。田疇引張遼前至白狼山,正遇袁熙,袁尚會合冒頓等數萬騎前來。張遼飛報曹操。操自勒馬登高望之,見冒頓兵無隊伍,參差不整。操謂張遼曰:「敵兵不整,便可擊之。」乃以麾授遼。遼引許褚、于禁、徐晃分四路下山,奮力急攻。冒頓大亂。遼拍馬斬冒頓於馬下,餘眾皆降。袁熙、袁尚引數千騎投遼東去了。

操收軍入柳城,封田疇為柳亭侯,以守柳城。疇涕泣曰:「某負義逃竄之人耳,蒙厚恩全活,為幸多矣;豈可賣盧龍之寨,以邀賞祿哉!死不敢受侯爵。」操義之,乃拜疇為議郎。操撫慰單于人等,收得駿馬萬匹,即日回兵。時天氣寒且旱,二百里無水,軍又乏糧,殺馬為食;鑿地三四丈,方得水。操回至易州,重賞先曾諫者;因謂眾將曰:「孤前者乘危遠征,僥倖成功。雖得勝,天所佑也,不可以為法。諸君之諫,乃萬安之計,是以相賞。後勿難言。」

操到易州時,郭嘉已死數日,停柩在公廨。操往祭之,大哭曰:「奉孝死,乃天喪吾也!」回顧眾官曰:「諸君年齒,皆孤等輩,惟奉孝最少。吾欲託以後事,不期中年夭折,使吾心腸崩裂矣!」嘉之左右,將嘉臨死封之書呈上曰:「郭公臨死,親筆書此,囑曰:『丞相若從書中所言,遼東事定矣。』」操拆書視之,點頭嗟歎。諸人皆不知其意。

次日,夏侯惇引眾入稟曰:「遼東太守公孫康,久不賓服。今袁熙、袁尚又往投之,必為後患。不如乘其未動,速往征之,遼東可得也。」操笑曰:「不煩諸公虎威,數日之後,公孫康自送二袁之首至矣。」諸將皆不肯信。

卻說袁熙、袁尚引數千騎奔遼東。遼東太守公孫康,本襄平人,武威將軍公孫度之子也。當日知袁熙、袁尚來投,遂聚本部屬官商議此事。公孫恭曰:「袁紹存日,常有吞遼東之心;今袁熙、袁尚兵敗將亡,無處依棲,來此相投,是鳩奪鵲巢之意也。若容納之,後必相圖。不如賺入城中殺之,獻頭與曹公,曹公必重待我。」康曰:「只怕曹操引兵下遼東,又不如納二袁使為我助。」恭曰:「可使人探聽。如曹兵來攻,則留二袁;如其不動,則殺二袁,送與曹公。」康從之,使人去探消息。

86 Thus Bingzhou 병주 was conquered. Then Cao Cao began to discuss the overthrow of the Wuhuan State 서쪽의 오환.

87 Cao Hong 조홍, speaking in the name of other officials, said, "The two Yuan Xi 원희 and Yuan Shang 원상 are nearly done for and too weak to be feared. They have fled far into the Sea of Sand. If we pursue them thither, it may bring down Liu Biao 유표 and Liu Bei 유비 upon the capital. Should we be unable to rescue it, the misfortune would be immense. Wherefore we beg you to return to Xuchang."

88 But Guo Jia 곽가 was of different advice.

89 "You are wrong," said he. "Though the prestige of our lord fills the empire, yet the peoples of the desert, relying upon their inaccessibility, will not be prepared against us. Wherefore I say attack, and we shall conquer them. Beside Yuan Shao was kind to the nomads, and the two brothers have been more so. They must be destroyed. As for Liu Biao he is a mere gossip, who needs not cause the least anxiety. And Liu Bei is unfit for any heavy responsibility and will take no trouble over a light one. You may leave the base with perfect safety and make as long an expedition as you choose. Nothing will happen."

90 "You speak well, O Guo Jia," said Cao Cao.

91 He led his legions, heavy and light, to the edge of the desert, with many wagons. The expedition marched into the Gobi Desert. The rolling ocean of yellow sand spread its waves before them, and they saw far and near the eddying sand pillars, and felt the fierce winds that drove them forward. The road became precipitous and progress difficult. Cao Cao began to think of returning and spoke thereof to Guo Jia, who had advised the journey.

92 Guo Jia had speedily fallen victim to the effects of the climate, and at this time he lay in his cart very ill.

93 Cao Cao's tears fell as he said, "My friend, you are suffering for my ambition to subdue the Gobi Desert. I cannot bear to think you should be ill."

94 "You have always been very good to me," said the sick man, "and I can never repay what I owe you."

95 "The country is exceedingly precipitous, and I am thinking of going back. What think you?"

96 Guo Jia replied, "The success of an expedition of this kind depends upon celerity. To strike a sudden blow on a distant spot with a heavy baggage train is difficult. To ensure success the need is light troops and a good road to strike quickly before an enemy has time to prepare. Now you must find guides who know the road well."

97 Then the sick adviser was left at Yezhou 역주 for treatment, and they sought among the natives for some persons to serve as guides. Tian Chou 전주, one of Yuan Shao's old generals, knew those parts well, and Cao Cao called him and questioned him.

98 Tian Chou said, "Between autumn and summer this route is under water, the shallow places too heavy for wheeled traffic, the deep parts insufficient for boats. It is always difficult. Therefore you would do better to return and at Lulong 노룡 cross the Baitan Pass 백단 into the desert. Then advance to Liucheng 유성 and smite before there is time to prepare. One sudden rush will settle King Mao Dun 답돈(오환의 족장)."

99 For this valuable information and plan, Tian Chou was made General Who Calms the North 정북장군, and went in advance as leader and guide. Next after him came Zhang Liao 장요, and Cao Cao brought up the rear. They advanced by double marches.

100 Tian Chou led Zhang Liao to White Wolf Hills 백랑산, where they came upon Yuan Xi, Yuan Shang, and King Mao Dun and a force of ten thousand cavalry. Zhang Liao galloped to inform his chief, and Cao Cao rode up to the top of an eminence to survey the foe. He saw a large mass of cavalry without any military formation advancing in a disorderly crowd.

101 Said he, "They have no formation. We can easily rout them."

102 Then he handed over his ensign of command to Zhang Liao 장요 who, with Xu Chu 허저, Yu Jin 우금, and Xu Huang 서황, made a vigorous attack from four different points, with the result that the enemy was thrown into confusion. Zhang Liao rode forward and slew King Mao Dun, and the other generals gave in. Yuan Xi and Yuan Shang with a few thousand of horse got away east into Liaodong 요동.

103 Cao Cao then led his army into Liucheng 유성. For his services, Tian Chou 전주 was conferred the rank of Lord of Liucheng 유정후 and Commander of that county.

104 But Tian Chou declined the rank, saying with tears, "I am a renegade and a fugitive. It is my good fortune that you spared my life, and how can I accept a rank for betraying Lulong 노룡? I would rather die than accept the lordship."

105 Cao Cao recognized that reason was on Tian Chou's side and conferred upon him the office of Court Counselor 의랑. Cao Cao then pacified the Xiongnu Chieftains 흉노 선우, collected a large number of horses, and at once set out on the homeward march.

106 The season was winter, cold and dry. For seventy miles there was no water, and grain also was scanty. The troops fed on horse flesh. They had to dig very deep, three or four hundred spans to find water.

107 When Cao Cao reached Yezhou 역주, he rewarded those who had remonstrated with him against the expedition.

108 He said, "I took some risk in going so far, but by good fortune I have succeeded. With the aid of Heaven I have secured victory. I could not be guided by your advice, but still they were counsels of safety, and therefore I reward you to prove my appreciation of advice and that hereafter you may not fear to speak your minds."

109 Adviser Guo Jia did not live to see the return of his lord. His coffin was placed on the bier in a hall of the government offices, and Cao Cao went thither to sacrifice to his manes.

110 Cao Cao mourned for him, crying, "Alas! Heaven has smitten me: Guo Jia is dead!"

111 Then turning to his officers he said, "You, gentlemen, are of the same age as myself, but he was very young to die. I needed him for the future generation, and unhappily he has been torn from me in the flower of his age. My heart and my bowels are torn with grief."

112 The servants of the late adviser presented his last testament, which they said his dying hand had written, and he had told them to say, "If the Prime Minister shall follow the advice given herein, then Liaodong will be secure."

113 Cao Cao opened the cover and read, nodding his head in agreement and uttering deep sighs. But no other person knew what was written therein.

114 Shortly after, Xiahou Dun 하후돈 at the head of a delegation presented a petition, saying, "For a long time the Governor of Liaodong 요동, Gongsun Kang 공손강, has been contumacious, and it bodes ill for peace that the Yuan brothers have fled to him. Would it not be well to attack before they move against you?"

115 "I need not trouble your tiger courage, Sirs," said Cao Cao smiling. "Wait a few days and you will see the heads of our two enemies sent to me."

116 They could not believe it.

117 As has been related the two Yuan Xi and Yuan Shang escaped to the east with a few hundreds of horse. The Governor of Liaodong was a son of Gongsun Du 공손도 the Warlike, the General of Han. Gongsun Kang was a native of Xiangping. When he heard that Yuan Xi and Yuan Shang were on their way to his territory, he called a council to decide upon his plan.

118 At the council Gongsun Gong 공손공 rose, saying, "When Yuan Shao was alive, he nourished the plan of adding this territory to his own. Now his sons, homeless, with a broken army and no officers, are coming here. It seems to me like the dove stealing the magpie's nest. If we offer them shelter, they will assuredly intrigue against us. I advise that they be inveigled into the city, put to death, and their heads sent to Cao Cao, who will be most grateful to us."

119 Said the Governor Gongsun Kang, "I have one fear: Cao Cao will come against us. If so, it would be better to have the help of the Yuans against him."

120 "Then you can send spies to ascertain whether Cao Cao's army is preparing to attack us. If it is, then save the Yuans alive; if not, then follow my advice."

121 It was decided to wait till the spies came back.

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,