삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 077-03 관운장의 넋

卻說孫權既害了關公,遂盡收荊襄之地,賞犒三軍,設宴大會諸將慶功;置呂蒙於上位,顧謂眾將曰:「孤久不得荊州,今唾手而得,皆子明之功也。」蒙再三遜謝。權曰:「昔周郎雄略過人,破曹操於赤壁,不幸早殀,魯子敬代之。子敬初見孤時,便及帝王大略,此一快也;曹操東下,諸人皆勸孤降,子敬獨勸孤召公瑾逆而擊之,此二快也。惟勸吾借荊州與劉備,是其一短。今子明設計定謀,立取荊州,勝子敬、周郎多矣。」

於是親酌酒賜呂蒙。呂蒙接酒欲飲,忽然擲盃於地,一手揪住孫權,厲聲大罵曰:「碧眼小兒!紫髯鼠輩,還識我否?」眾將大驚。急救時,蒙推倒孫權,大步前進,坐於孫權位上,兩眉倒豎,雙眼圓睜,大喝曰:「我自破黃巾以來,縱橫天下三十餘年,今被汝一旦以奸計圖我,我生不能啖汝之肉,死當追呂賊之魂!我乃漢壽亭侯關雲長也。」

權大驚,慌忙率大小將士,皆下拜。只見呂蒙倒於地上,七竅流血而死。眾將見之,無不恐懼。權將呂蒙屍首,具棺安葬,贈南郡太守潺陵侯;命其子呂霸襲爵。孫權自此感關公之事,驚訝不已。忽報張昭自建業而來。權君入問之。昭曰:「今主公損了關公父子,江東禍不遠矣。此人與劉備桃園結義之時,誓同生死。今劉備已有兩川之兵;更兼諸葛亮之謀,張、黃、馬、趙之勇;備若知雲長父子遇害,必起傾國之兵,奮力報讎:恐東吳難與敵也。」

權聞之大驚,跌足曰:「孤失計較也!似此如之奈何?」昭曰:「主公勿憂,某有一計,令西蜀之兵不犯東吳,荊州如磐石之安。」權問何計。昭曰:「今曹操擁百萬之眾,虎視華夏,劉備急欲報讎,必與操約和。若二處連兵而來,東吳危矣;不如先遣人將關公首級,轉送與曹操,明教劉備知是操之所使,必痛恨於操。西蜀之兵,不向吳而向魏矣。吾乃觀其勝負,於中取事:此為上策。」

權從其言,隨遣使者以木匣盛關公首級,星夜送與曹操。時操從摩陂班師回洛陽,聞東吳送關公首級至,喜曰:「雲長已死,吾夜眠貼席矣。」階下一人出曰:「此乃東吳移禍之計也。」操視之:乃主簿司馬懿也。操問其故,懿曰:「昔劉、關、張三人桃園結義之時,誓同生死。今東吳害了關公,懼其復讎,故將首級獻與大王,使劉備遷怒大王,不攻吳而攻魏,他卻於中乘便而圖事耳。」

操曰:「仲達之言是也。孤以何策解之?」懿曰:「此事極易。大王可將關公首級,刻一香木之軀以配之,葬以大臣之禮。劉備知之,必深恨孫權,盡力南征。我卻觀其勝負:蜀勝則擊吳,吳勝則擊蜀。二處若得一處,那一處亦不久也。」操大喜,從其計,遂召吳使入。呈上木匣。操開匣視之,見關公面如平日。操笑曰:「雲長公別來無恙!」

言未畢,只見關公口開目動,鬚髮皆張,操驚倒。眾官急救,良久方醒,顧謂眾官曰:「關將軍真天神也!」吳使又將關公顯聖附體、罵孫權追呂蒙之事告操。操愈加恐懼,遂設牲醴祭祀,刻沈香木為軀,以王侯之禮,葬於洛陽南門外。令大小官員送殯,操自拜祭,贈為荊王,差官守墓;即遣吳使回江東去訖。

40 The execution of Guan Yu gave Sun Quan undisputed possession of the whole of the Jingzhou Region. He rewarded his soldiers and spread a great feast at which Lu Meng was in the seat of honor.

41 Sun Quan made a speech, saying, "After long waiting, the desire of my heart has come to me very easily through the magnificent efforts of my friend Lu Meng."

42 Lu Meng bowed and bowed deprecatingly, but Sun Quan continued, "My good Zhou Yu was superior to most humans, and he defeated Cao Cao at the Red Cliffs. Alas! He died too soon. My good Lu Su succeeded him. In his first interview, he inaugurated the general policy of creating a state. That was the first instance of his keen insight. When Cao Cao descended upon my country, and everyone counseled me to yield, he advised me to summon my good Zhou Yu to oppose and smite Cao Cao. That was the second instance of his keen insight. He made only one fault: He advised me to let Liu Bei occupy Jingzhou. Now today my good Lu Meng has succeeded, and in that he far surpasses both his predecessors."

43 Then Sun Quan filled a goblet and in person presented it to the guest of the evening. Lu Meng took the cup, but as he raised it, a sudden change came over him.

44 Dashing the cup to the ground, Lu Meng seized Sun Quan, crying, "O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?"

45 Consternation seized the whole assembly, but many rushed to the rescue of their lord, who had been thrown to the floor by the guest he had so lately complimented. Rushing forward over Sun Quan's body, Lu Meng sat himself in the host's seat, his eyebrows staring stiff and his eyes glaring.

46 "After I quelled the Yellow Scarves, I went hither and thither for thirty years. Now I have fallen victim to your base plots, and you have overcome me. Living, I have been unable to gorge upon the flesh of my enemy; dead, I will pursue the spirit of this bandit Lu Meng. I am the Lord of Hanshou, Guan Yu!"

47 Terror-stricken, Sun Quan was the first to fall prostrate, and all his officers followed him.

48 Thereupon Lu Meng fell over dead, with blood gushing from the seven orifices of his body.

49 In due time the body was coffined and interred. Lu Meng was created posthumously Governor of Nanjun and Lord of Chanling. His son, Lu Ba, was given hereditary nobility.

50 After this visitation Sun Quan lived in constant terror. Soon Zhang Zhao came in from Jianye to see him and blame him for the murder.

51 "My lord, by the slaughter of Guan Yu you have brought misfortune very near to this state. You know the oath sworn in the Peach Garden. Now Liu Bei has the force of the two River Lands at his back, Zhuge Liang as adviser, and those heroes Zhang Fei, Zhao Zilong, Huang Zhong, and Ma Chao to carry out his behests. When Liu Bei hears of the death of both father and son, he will set in motion the whole force he has to avenge them, and I fear you cannot stand such an onslaught."

52 Sun Quan started up in a fright.

53 "Yes, I have made a little mistake," said he. "But seeing it is so, what shall I do?"

54 "You need have no fear," replied Zhang Zhao. "I have a plan to fend off the armies of the west from our borders and keep Jingzhou quite safe."

55 "What is your plan?" asked Sun Quan.

56 "Cao Cao with his many legions is greedily aiming at the whole empire. If Liu Bei wants revenge, he will ally himself with Cao Cao, and, should they combine against the South Land, we should be in great danger. Therefore I advise you to send Guan Yu's head to Cao Cao to make it appear that Cao Cao was the prime cause of his destruction. This should divert Liu Bei's extreme hatred toward Cao Cao and send the armies of Shu against Wei instead of toward Wu. After carefully considering the whole matter, I counsel this as the best course of action."

57 Sun Quan thought the move worth making, and so the head of the great warrior was placed in a box and sent off as quickly as possible to Cao Cao.

58 At this time Cao Cao's army had marched back from Mopo to Luoyang. When he heard of the coming of the gruesome gift, he was glad at heart.

59 Said he, "So Guan Yu is dead. Now I can stick to my mat and sleep soundly at night."

60 But Sima Yi saw through the ruse and said from his place by the steps, "This is a trick to divert evil from Wu."

61 "What do you mean? How?" said Cao Cao.

62 "The Peach Garden Oath bound the three brothers to live and die together. Now Wu is fearful of revenge for the execution of one of the three and sends the head to you to cause Liu Bei's wrath to fasten on you, O Prince. Sun Quan wishes Liu Bei to attack you instead of himself, the real perpetrator of the crime. Then he will find a way of accomplishing his ends while you two are quarreling."

63 "You are right, friend," said Cao Cao. "And now how can we escape?"

64 "I think escape is easy. You have the head of Guan Yu. Make a wooden image of the remainder of the body, and bury the whole with the rites suitable to a minister of state. When Liu Bei hears of this, he will turn his hate toward Sun Quan and raise all his forces to attack him. If you will think it out, you will see that whichever is victor the other will be smitten; and if we get one of the two, the other will follow before very long."

65 Cao Cao was pleased with the solution. Then he ordered the messenger to come in with the box, which was opened, and he looked upon the face of the dead. The features had not changed; the face bore the same appearance as of old. Cao Cao smiled.

66 "I hope you have been well since our last meeting, Guan Yu," said Cao Cao.

67 To his horror, the mouth opened, the eyes rolled, and the long beard and hair stiffened. Cao Cao fell to the ground in a swoon.

68 They rushed to him, but it was a long time before he recovered consciousness.

69 "General Guan Yu is indeed a spirit," he said.

70 The messenger who had brought the dead warrior's head told the story of Guan Yu cursing and reviling Sun Quan, and of what had befallen Lu Meng.

71 Cao Cao, filled with dread, prepared sacrifices and performed the rites for the honored dead. An effigy was carved out of heavy fragrant wood and buried outside the south gate with all the rites of a princely noble, a huge concourse of officials of all grades following in the procession. At the funeral Cao Cao himself bowed before the coffin and poured a libation. He also conferred on the dead the posthumous title of Prince of Jingzhou, and appointed guardians of the tomb. The messenger was sent back to Wu.

72 Now the spirit of Guan Yu did not dissipate into space, but wandered through the void till it came to a certain spot in Dangyang on a famous hill known as the Mount of the Jade Spring. There lived a venerable Buddhist priest whose name in the faith was Transverse Peace. He was originally of the State Guardian Temple in the River Si Pass and abbot of that temple. In the course of roaming about the world, he had reached this place. Entranced with its natural beauty, he had built himself a shelter of boughs and grass, where he sat in meditation on the "Way". He had a novice with him to beg food and to attend to his simple wants.

73 This night, about the third watch, the moon was bright and the air serene. Transverse Peace sat in his usual attitude in the silence of the mountains.

74 Suddenly he heard a great voice calling in the upper air, "Give back my head! Give back my head!"

75 Gazing upward Transverse Peace saw the shape of a man mounted on a red horse. In the hand was a shining blade like unto the green-dragon saber. Two military figures were with him, one on either side. He on the left had a white face; he on the right was swarthy of countenance with a curly beard. And they followed the figure with the shining blade. They floated along on a cloud which came to rest on the summit of the mountain.

76 The recluse recognized the figure as that of Guan Yu, so with his yak's tail flagellum he smote the lintel of his hut and cried, "Where is Guan Yu?"

77 The spirit understood, and the figure dismounted, glided down, and came to rest at the door of the hut.

78 Interlacing its fingers, it stood in a reverential attitude and said, "Who is my teacher, and what is his name in the faith?"

79 "In the State Guardian Temple in River Si Pass, I once saw you, O Noble Sir, and I was not likely to forget your face," replied the priest.

80 "I am deeply grateful for the help you gave me. Misfortune has befallen me, and I have ceased to live. I would seek the pure instruction and beg you to indicate the obscure way."

81 "Let us not discuss former wrongdoings nor present correct actions. Later events are the inevitable result of former causes. I know that Lu Meng has injured you. You call aloud for the return of your head. But who will also return the heads of your several victims---Yan Liang, Wen Chou, and the commanders of the five passes?"

82 Thereupon Guan Yu seemed suddenly to comprehend, bowed in token of assent, and disappeared. After this appearance to the recluse, his spirit wandered hither and thither about the mountain, manifesting its sacred character and guarding the people.

83 Impressed by his virtue, the inhabitants built a temple on the Mount of the Jade Spring, wherein they sacrificed at the four seasons. In later days, one wrote a couplet for the temple, the first member reading:

84 "Ruddy faced, reflecting the honest heart within, out-riding the wind on the Red Hare steed, mindful of the Red Emperor;"

85 "In the light of clear lamp, reading the histories, resting on the Green-Dragon saber curved as the young moon, heart pure as the azure heaven."

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,