삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 096-02 읍창마속

左右推出馬謖於轅門之外,將斬。參軍蔣琬自成都至,見武士欲斬馬謖,大驚,高叫留人,入見孔明曰:「昔楚殺得臣而文公喜。今天下未定,而戮智謀之士,豈不可惜乎?」孔明流涕而答曰:「昔孫武所以能制勝於天下者,用法明也。今四方分爭,兵交方始,若須廢法,何以討賊耶?合當斬之。」

須臾,武士獻馬謖首級於階下。孔明大哭不已。蔣琬問曰:「今幼常得罪,既正軍法,丞相何故哭耶?」孔明曰:「吾非為馬謖哭。吾思先帝在白帝城臨危之時曾囑吾曰:『馬謖言過其實,不可大用。』今果應此言,乃深恨己之不明,追思先帝之明,因此痛哭耳!」大小將士,無不流涕。馬謖亡年三十九歲。

時建興六年夏五月也。後人有詩曰:

失守街亭罪不輕,
堪嗟馬謖枉談兵。
轅門斬首嚴軍法,
拭淚猶思先帝明。

卻說孔明斬了馬謖,將首級遍示各營已畢,用線縫在屍上,具棺葬之;自修祭文享祀;將謖家小加意撫恤,按月給與祿米。於是孔明自作表文,令蔣琬申奏後主,請自貶丞相之職。琬回成都,入見後主,進入孔明表章。後主拆開視之曰:臣本庸才,叨竊非據,親秉旄鉞,以勵三軍。不能訓章明法,臨事而謀,至有街亭違命之闕,箕谷不戒之失。咎皆在臣不明,不知人,慮事多闇。春秋責備,罪何所逃?請自貶三等,以督闕咎。臣不勝慚愧,俯伏待命!

後主覽畢曰﹕「勝負兵家常事,丞相何出此言?」侍中費禕奏曰﹕「臣聞治國者,必以奉法為重。法若不行,何以服人?丞相敗績,自行貶降,正其宜也。」後主從之,乃詔貶孔明為右將軍,行丞相事,照舊總督軍馬,就令費禕詔到漢中。

孔明受詔貶降訖,禕恐孔明羞赧,乃賀曰﹕「蜀中之民知丞相初拔四縣,深以為喜。」孔明變色曰﹕「是何言也?得而復失,與不得同。公以此賀我,實足使我愧赧耳。」禕又曰:「近聞丞相得姜維,天子甚喜。」孔明怒曰:「兵敗師還,不曾奪得寸土,此吾之大罪也。量得一姜維,於魏何損?」禕又曰:「丞相現統雄師數十萬,可再伐魏乎?」孔明曰:「昔大軍屯於祁山、箕谷之時,我兵多於賊兵,而不能破賊,反為賊所破;此病不在兵之多寡,在主將耳。今欲減兵省將,明罰思過,較變通之道於將來;如其不然,雖兵多何用?自今以後,諸人有遠慮於國者,但勤攻吾之闕,責吾之短,則事可定,賊可滅,功可翹足而待矣。」

費禕諸將皆服其論。費禕自回成都。孔明在漢中,惜軍愛民,勵兵講武,置造攻城渡水之器,聚積糧草,預備戰筏,以為後圖。細作探知,報入洛陽。

魏主曹叡聞知,即召司馬懿商議收川之策。懿曰:「蜀未可攻也。方今天道亢炎,蜀兵必不出。若我軍深入其地,彼守其險要,急切難下。叡曰:「倘兵再來入寇,如之奈何?」懿曰:「臣已算定今番諸葛亮必效韓信暗度陳倉之計。臣舉一人往陳倉道口,築城守禦,萬無一失。此人身長九尺,猿臂善射,深有謀略。若諸葛亮入寇,此人當之足矣。」叡大喜,問曰:「此何人也?」懿奏曰:「乃太原人,姓郝,名昭,字伯道。現為雜霸將軍,鎮守河西。」叡從之,加郝伯道為鎮西將軍。命把守陳倉道口。遣使持詔去訖。

25 They led the doomed man away. Without the main gate, just as they were going to deal the fatal blow, High Counselor Jiang Wan, who had just arrived from Capital Chengdu, was passing in. He bade the executioners wait a while, and he went in and interceded for Ma Su.

26 "Formerly the King of Chu put Minister Cheng Dechen to death due to a defeat, and his rival Duke Wen of Jin rejoiced. There is great confusion in the land, and yet you would slay a man of admitted ability. Can you not spare him?"

27 Zhuge Liang's tears fell, but he said, "Sun Zi maintains that the one way to obtain success is to make the law supreme. Now confusion and actual war are in every quarter. If the law be not observed, how may rebels be made away with? He must die."

28 Soon after they bore in the head of Ma Su as proof, and Zhuge Liang wailed bitterly.

29 "Why do you weep for him now that he has met the just penalty for his fault?" said Jiang Wan.

30 "I was not weeping then because of Ma Su, but because I remembered the words of the First Ruler. At his last moment in Baidicheng, he said: 'Ma Su's words exceed his deeds. Do not make much use of him.' It has come true, and I greatly regret my want of insight. That is why I weep."

31 Every officer wept. Ma Su was but thirty-nine, and he met his end in the fifth month of the sixth year of Beginning Prosperity (AS 228).

32 A poet wrote about him thus:

33 That was pitiful that he who talked so glib 
Of war, should lose a city, fault most grave, 
With death as expiation. At the gate 
He paid stern law's extremest penalty. 
Deep grieved, his chief recalled the late Prince's words.

34 The head of Ma Su was paraded round the camps. Then it was sewn again to the body and buried with it. Zhuge Liang conducted the sacrifices for the dead and read the oration. A monthly allowance was made for the family, and they were consoled as much as possible.

35 Next Zhuge Liang made his memorial to the Throne and bade Jiang Wan bear it to the Latter Ruler. Therein Zhuge Liang proposed his own degradation from his high office.

36 "Naturally a man of mediocre abilities, I have enjoyed your confidence undeservedly. Having led out an expedition, I have proved my inability to perform the high office of leader. Over solicitude was my undoing. Hence happened disobedience at Jieting and the failure to guard the Gu Valley. The fault is mine in that I erred in the use of officers. In my anxiety I was too secretive. The 'Spring and Autumn' philosophy has pronounced the commander such as I am is blameworthy, and whither may I flee from my fault? I pray that I may be degraded three degrees as punishment. I cannot express my mortification. I humbly await your command."

37 "Why does the Prime Minister speak thus?" said the Latter Ruler after reading the memorial. "It is but the ordinary fortune of war."

38 Court Counselor Fei Yi said, "The ruler must enhance the majesty of the law, for without law how can people support him? It is right that the Prime Minister should be degraded in rank."

39 Thereupon an edict was issued reducing Zhuge Liang to the rank of General of the Right Army, but retaining him in the same position in the direction of state affairs and command of the military forces. Fei Yi was directed to communicate the decision.

40 Fei Yi bore the edict into Hanzhong and gave it to Zhuge Liang, who bowed to the decree. The envoy thought Zhuge Liang might be mortified, so he ventured to felicitate him in other matters.

41 "It was a great joy to the people of Shu when you, O Prime Minister, captured the four northwest counties," said he.

42 "What sort of language is this?" said Zhuge Liang, annoyed. "Success followed by failure is no success. It shames me indeed to hear such a compliment."

43 "His Majesty will be very pleased to hear of the acquisition of Jiang Wei."

44 This remark also angered Zhuge Liang, who replied, "It is my fault that a defeated army has returned without any gain of territory. What injury to Wei was the loss of Jiang Wei?"

45 Fei Yi tried again, saying, "But with an army of one hundred thousand bold veterans, you can attack Wei again."

46 Said Zhuge Liang, "When we were at Qishan and Gu Valley, we outnumbered the enemy, but we could not conquer them. On the contrary, they beat us. The defect was not in the number of soldiers, but in the leadership. Now we must reduce the army, discover our faults, reflect on our errors, and mend our ways against the future. Unless this is so, what is the use of a numerous army? Hereafter everyone will have to look to the future of his country. But most diligently each of you must fight against my shortcomings and blame my inefficiencies. Then we may succeed, rebellion can be exterminated, and merit can be set up."

47 Fei Yi and the officers acknowledged the aptness of these remarks. Fei Yi went back to the capital, leaving Zhuge Liang in Hanzhong resting his soldiers and doing what he could for the people, training and heartening his troops and turning special attention to the construction of apparatus for assaults on cities and crossing rivers. He also collected grain and fodder and built battle rafts, all for future use.

48 The spies of Wei got to know of these doings in the River Lands and reported to Luoyang. The Ruler of Wei called Sima Yi to council and asked how Shu might be annexed.

49 "Shu cannot be attacked," was the reply. "In this present hot weather they will not come out, but, if we invade, they will only garrison and defend their strategic points, which we should find it hard to overcome."

50 "What shall we do if they invade us again?"

51 "I have prepared for that. Just now Zhuge Liang shall imitate Han Xin who secretly crossed the river into Chencang. I can recommend a man to guard the place by building a rampart there and rendering it absolutely secure. He is a nine-span man, round shouldered and powerful, a good archer and prudent strategist. He would be quite equal to dealing with an invasion."

52 The Ruler of Wei was very pleased and asked for his name.

53 "His name is Hao Zhao, and he is in command at Hexi."

54 The Ruler of Wei accepted the recommendation, and an edict went forth promoting Hao Zhao to General Who Guards the West, and sending him to command in the county of Chencang.

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,