삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 060-02 서촉행

楊修聞言,滿面羞慚,強顏而答曰:「某雖居下寮,丞相委以軍政錢糧之重,早晚多蒙丞相教誨,極有開發,故就此職耳。」松笑曰:「松聞曹丞相文不明孔孟之道,武不達孫吳之機,專務強霸而居大位,安能有所教誨,以開發明公耶?」修曰:「公居邊隅,安知丞相大才乎?吾試令公觀之。」呼左右於篋中取書一卷,以示張松。松觀其題曰:「孟德新書」。從頭至尾,看了一遍,共一十三篇,皆用兵之要法。

松看畢,問曰:「公以此為何書耶?」修曰:「此是丞相酌古準今,倣孫子十三篇而作。公欺丞相無才,此堪以傳後世否?」松大笑曰:「此書吾蜀中三尺小童,亦能暗誦,何為『新書』?此是戰國時無名氏所作,曹丞相盜竊以為己能,止好瞞足下耳!」修曰:「丞相秘藏之書,雖已成帙,未傳於世。公言蜀中小兒暗誦如流,何相欺乎?」松曰:「公如不信,吾試誦之。」遂將「孟德新書」從頭至尾,朗誦一遍,並無一字差錯。修大驚曰:「公過目不忘,真天下奇才也!」後人有詩曰:

古怪形容異,清高體貌疏。
語傾三峽水,目視十行書。
膽量魁西蜀,文章貫太虛。
百家并諸子,一覽更無餘。

當下張松欲辭回。修曰:「公且暫居館舍,容某再稟丞相,令公面君。」松謝而退。修入見操曰:「適來丞相何慢張松乎?」操曰:「言語不遜,吾故慢之。」修曰:「丞相尚容一禰衡,何不納張松?」操曰:「禰衡文章,播於當今,吾故不忍殺之。松有何能?」修曰:「且無論其口似懸河,辯才無礙。適修以丞相所撰「孟德新書」示之,彼觀一遍,即能暗誦。如此博聞強記,世所罕有。松言此書乃戰國時無名氏所作,蜀中小兒,皆能熟記。」操曰:「莫非古人與我暗合否?」令扯碎其書燒之。修曰:「此人可使面君,教見天朝氣象。」操曰:「來日我於西教場點軍,汝可先引他來,使見我軍容之盛,教他回去傳說:吾即日下了江南,便來收川。」

修領命。至次曰,與張松同至西教場。操點虎衛雄兵五萬,布於教場中,果然盔甲鮮明,衣袍燦爛;金鼓震天,戈矛耀日,四方八面,各分隊伍;旌旗颺彩,人馬騰空。松斜目視之。良久,操喚松指而示曰:「汝川中曾見此英雄人物否?」松曰:「吾蜀中不曾見此兵革,但以仁義治人。」

操變色視之。松全無懼意,楊脩頻以目視松。操謂松曰:「吾視天下鼠輩猶草芥耳。大軍到處,戰無不勝,攻無不取。順吾者生,逆吾者死。汝知之乎?」松曰:「丞相驅兵到處,戰必勝,攻必取,松亦素知。昔日濮陽攻呂布之時,宛城戰張繡之日;赤壁遇周郎,華容逢關羽;割鬚棄袍於潼關,奪船箭於渭水:此皆無敵於天下也。」操大怒曰:「豎儒焉敢揭吾短處!」喝左右推出斬之。楊脩諫曰:「松雖可斬,奈從蜀道而來入貢,若斬之,恐失遠人之意。」

29 Yang Xiu's face suffused with shame at this rebuke, but he mastered himself and replied, "Though I am among the minor officials, yet my duties are of great importance, and I am gaining experience under the Prime Minister's guidance. I hold the office for the sake of the training."

30 Zhang Song smiled, saying, "If what I have heard is true, Cao Cao's learning throws no gleaming light on the way of Confucius or Mencius, nor does his military skill illumine the art of Sun Zi or Wu Qi. He seems to understand the doctrine of brute force and holding on to what advantages he can seize, but I see not how he can give you any valuable training or enlighten your understanding."

31 "Ah, Sir, that comes of dwelling in out-of-the-way parts. How could you know of the magnificent talents of the great Prime Minister? But I will show you something."

32 Yang Xiu called up an attendant and bade him bring a book from a certain case. He showed this to his guest, who read the title "The New Book of Cao Cao". Then Zhang Song opened it and read it through from the beginning, the whole thirteen chapters. They all dealt with the art of war.

33 "What do you take this to be?" asked Zhang Song, when he had finished.

34 "This is the great Prime Minister's discussion of the art of ancient and modern war composed on the model of Sun Zi's Treatise on the Art of War. You may be disdainful of the Prime Minister's talents, but will this not go down to posterity?"

35 "This book! Every child in Yizhou knows this by heart. What do you mean by calling it a new book? It was written by some obscure person of the time of the Warring States, and Cao Cao has plagiarized it. But he has deceived no one but you, Sir."

36 "But what is the use of your sarcastic insult in saying that your school children know the book by rote? It has never been given to the world, although copies have been made. It belongs to his private library."

37 "Do you disbelieve me? Why, I know it and could repeat it."

38 Then Zhang Song repeated the whole book, word for word, from beginning to end.

39 Yang Xiu said, "You remember it like this after only one reading! Really you are marvelous."

40 He boasted not a handsome face, 
Nor was his body blessed with grace. 
His words streamed like a waterfall, 
He read a book and knew it all. 
Shu's glories could he well rehearse, 
His lore embraced the universe. 
Or text or note of scholiast 
Once read, his memory held fast.

41 At leave-taking Yang Xiu said, "Remain a while in your lodgings till I can petition our Prime Minister to give you another interview."

42 Zhang Song thanked him and left.

43 By and bye Yang Xiu went to see Cao Cao on the matter of receiving the emissary from the west and said, "Sir, why did you formerly treat Zhang Song so off-hand?"

44 "He spoke very rudely. That is why."

45 "But you bore with Mi Heng. Why not with this man?"

46 "Mi Heng's reputation for scholarship stood highest of all, and I could not bear to put him to death. But what ability has this Zhang Song?"

47 "To say nothing about his speech being like the River of Heaven, nothing daunts his talent for dialectic. I happened to show him your new treatise; he read it over once and could repeat it. From this, it is evident he is cultured and has a prodigious memory. There are few like him in the world. But he said the book was the work of an obscure person of a few hundred years back, and every school child in his country knew it."

48 "It only shows that the ancients and I are in secret sympathy," replied Cao Cao.

49 However, Cao Cao ordered the book to be torn up and burned.

50 "Then may I bring him to see you, Sir, that he may see the glory of our court."

51 Cao Cao grudgingly consented, saying "I am reviewing troops tomorrow on the western parade ground. You may bring him there and let him see what my army looks like. He will be able to talk about it when he goes home. When I have dealt with the south, I shall take the west in hand."

52 Hence the very next day Yang Xiu took Zhang Song over to the west parade ground, where a review of the Tiger Guard was to be held. There were fifty thousand of them, and when drawn up in order, they made a very brave show with their gleaming helmets and bright new uniforms. Their drums rolled to shake the heavens, and their weapons glittered in the sun. Their discipline and order were perfect. Their gay banners fluttered in the breeze. They looked ready to fly even, so alert and smart were they.

53 Zhang Song glanced at them contemptuously.

54 After a long time Cao Cao called up Zhang Song and, pointing to his army, said, "Have you ever seen such fine bold fellows in Yizhou?"

55 "We never see this military parade in Yizhou. We govern the people by righteousness."

56 Cao Cao changed color and looked hard at the bold speaker, who gazed back at him without the least sign of fear.

57 Yang Xiu shot a quick glance at Zhang Song, but Cao Cao went on, saying, "I regard the rat-class of the world as of no more importance than so many weeds, and for my army to reach a place is to overcome it, to give battle is to conquer, to besiege is to take. Those who are with me, live; but those who oppose me, die. Do you understand?"

58 "O Prime Minister, I know well that when you march out your army, you always conquer. I knew it when you attacked Lu Bu at Puyang; and when you fought Zhang Xiu at Wancheng; and when you met Zhou Yu at the Red Cliffs; and when in Huarong Valley you encountered Guan Yu; and on that day when you cut off your beard and threw away your robe at Tong Pass; and when you hid in a boat to escape the arrows on the Yellow River. On all these occasions, no one could stand against you."

59 It made Cao Cao very angry to be thus twitted with his misfortunes and he said, "You stuck-up pedant! How dare you thus bring up all my failures?"

60 Cao Cao called to his attendants to eject the bold disputant and put him to death.

61 Yang Xiu ventured to argue with him, saying, "You may behead him, but he came from the west bearing tribute, and his death would have a very evil effect on all distant peoples."

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,