삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 033-02 요동 평정

操即召琰為本州別駕從事,因謂曰:「昨按本州戶籍,共計三十萬眾,可謂大州。」琰曰:「今天下分崩,九州幅裂,二袁兄弟相爭,冀民暴骨原野,丞相不急存問風俗,救其塗炭,而先計校戶籍,豈本州士女所望於明公哉?」

操聞言,改容謝之,待為上賓。操已定冀州,使人探袁譚消息。時譚引兵劫掠甘陵、安平、渤海、河間等處,聞袁尚敗走中山,乃統軍攻之。尚無心於戰鬥,逕奔幽州投袁熙。譚盡降其眾,欲復圖冀州。操使人召之,譚不至。操大怒,馳書絕其婚,自統大軍征之,直抵平原。

譚聞操自統軍來,遣人求救於劉表。表請玄德商議。玄德曰:「今操已破冀州,兵勢正盛,袁氏兄弟,不久必為操擒,救之無益;況操常有窺荊、襄之意,我只養兵自守,未可妄動。」表曰:「然則何以謝之?」玄德曰:「可作書與袁氏兄弟,以和解為名,婉詞謝之。」

表然其言,先遣人以書遺譚。書略曰:

君子違難,不適讎國。日前聞君屈膝降曹,則是忘先人之,棄手足之誼,而遺同盟之恥矣。若「冀州」不弟,當降心相從。待事定之後,使天下平其曲直,不亦高義耶?

又與袁尚書曰:

「青州」天性峭急,迷於曲直。君當先除曹操,以卒先公之恨。事定之後,乃計曲直,不亦善乎?若迷而不返,則是韓盧東郭自困於前,而遺田父之獲也。

譚得表書,知表無發兵之意;又自料不能敵操;遂棄平原,走保南皮。曹操追至南皮,時天氣寒肅,河道盡凍,糧船不能行動。操令本處百姓敲冰拽船,百姓聞令而逃。操大怒,欲捕斬之。百姓聞得,乃親往營中投首。操曰:「若不殺汝等,則吾號令不行;若殺汝等,吾又不忍;汝等快往山中藏避,休被我軍士擒獲。」

百姓皆垂淚而去。袁譚引兵出城,與曹軍相敵。兩陣對圓,操出馬以鞭指譚而罵曰:「吾厚待汝,汝何生異心?」譚曰:「汝犯吾境界,奪吾城池,賴吾妻子,反說我有異心耶?」操大怒,使徐晃出馬。譚使彭安接戰。兩馬相交,不數合,晃斬彭安於馬下。譚軍敗走,退入南皮。操遣軍四面圍住。譚著慌,使辛評見操約降。操曰:「袁譚小子,反覆無常,吾難准信。汝弟辛毗,吾已重用,汝亦留此可也。」評曰:「丞相差矣。某聞主貴臣榮,主憂臣辱。某久事袁氏,豈可背之?」

操知其不可留,乃遣回。評回見譚,言操不准投降。譚叱曰:「汝弟見事曹操,汝懷二心耶?」評聞言,氣滿填胸,昏絕於地。譚令扶出,須臾而死。譚亦悔之。郭圖謂譚曰:「來日盡驅百姓當先,以軍繼其後,與曹操決一死戰。」

譚從其言。當夜盡驅南皮百姓,皆執刀槍聽令。次日平明,大開四門,軍在後驅,百姓在前,喊聲大舉,一齊擁出,直抵曹寨。兩軍混戰,自辰至午,勝負未分,殺人遍地。操見未獲全勝,乘馬上山,親自擊鼓。將士見之,奮力向前。譚軍大敗,百姓被殺者無數。曹洪奮威突陣,正迎袁譚,舉刀亂砍,譚竟被曹洪殺於陣中。郭圖見陣大亂,急馳入城中。樂進望見,拈弓搭箭,射下城壕,人馬俱陷。

25 Cao Cao 조조 sent for this man, gave him an office and said to him, "According to the former registers, there are three hundred thousand households in the region 기주 so that one may well call it a major region."

26 Cui Yan 최염 replied, "The empire is rent, and the country is torn; the Yuan brothers are at war, and the people have been stripped naked. Yet, Sir, you do not hasten to inquire after local conditions and how to rescue the people from misery, but first compute the possibilities of taxation. Can you expect to gain the support of our people by such means?"

27 Cao Cao accepted the rebuke, changed the policy, thanked him, and treated him all the better for it.

28 As soon as Jizhou 기주 was settled, Cao Cao sent to find out the movements of Yuan Tan 원담. He heard Yuan Tan was ravaging Ganling 감릉, Anping 안평, Bohai 발해, and Hejian 하간. Moreover, the scouts brought the news that Yuan Shang 원상 had fled to Zhongshan 중산, and Yuan Tan led an expedition against him, but Yuan Shang would not face a battle. He had gone away to Youzhou 유주 to his brother Yuan Xi 원희. Yuan Tan, having gathered Yuan Shang's troops, prepared for another attempt on Jizhou.

29 Whereupon Cao Cao summoned him. Yuan Tan refused to come, and Cao Cao sent letters breaking off the marriage between Yuan Tan and his daughter. Soon after Cao Cao led an expedition against Yuan Tan and marched to Pingyuan 평원, whereupon Yuan Tan sent to Liu Biao 유표 to beg assistance. Liu Biao sent for Liu Bei 유비 to consult about this.

30 Liu Bei said, "Cao Cao is very strong now that he has overcome Jizhou, and the Yuans will be unable to hold out for long. Nothing is to be gained by helping Yuan Tan, and it may give Cao Cao the loophole he is always looking for to attack this place 형주와 양양. My advice is to keep the army in condition and devote all our energies to defense."

31 "Agreed; but what shall we say?" said Liu Biao.

32 "Write to both the brothers as peacemaker in gracious terms."

33 Accordingly Liu Biao wrote thus to Yuan Tan:

34 "When the superior person would escape danger, that person does not go to an enemy state. I heard recently that you had crooked the knee to Cao Cao, which was ignoring the enmity between him and your father, rejecting the duties of brotherhood, and leaving behind you the shame of an alliance with the enemy. If your brother, the successor to Jizhou, has acted unfraternally, your duty was to bend your inclination to follow him and wait till the state of affairs had settled. Would it not have been very noble to bring about the redress of wrongs?"

35 And to Yuan Shang, Liu Biao wrote:

36 "Your brother, the ruler of Qingzhou, is of an impulsive temperament and confuses right with wrong. You ought first to have destroyed Cao Cao in order to put an end to the hatred which your father bore him and, when the situation had become settled, to have endeavored to redress the wrongs. Would not that have been well? If you persist in following this mistaken course, remember the hound 사냥개 한로 and the hare 빠른 토끼 동곽, both so wearied that the peasant got them all."

37 From this letter Yuan Tan saw that Liu Biao had no intention of helping him, and feeling he alone could not withstand Cao Cao. He abandoned Pingyuan and fled to Nanpi 남피, whither Cao Cao pursued him.

38 The weather was very cold and the river was frozen, so that the grain boats could not move. Wherefore Cao Cao ordered the inhabitants to break the ice and tow the boats. When the peasants heard the order they ran away. Cao Cao angrily wished to arrest and behead them. When they heard this, they went to his camp in a body and offered their heads to the sword.

39 "If I do not kill you, my order will not be obeyed," said Cao Cao. "Yet supposing I cut off your heads, but I cannot bear to do that severity. Quickly flee to the hills and hide so that my soldiers do not capture you."

40 The peasants left weeping.

41 Then Yuan Tan led out his army against Cao Cao. When both sides were arrayed, Cao Cao rode to the front.

42 Pointing with his whip at his opponent, Cao Cao railed at him, saying, "I treated you well. Why then have you turned against me?"

43 Yuan Tan replied, "You have invaded my land, captured my cities, and broken off my marriage. Yet you accuse me of turning against you!"

44 Cao Cao ordered Xu Huang 서황 to go out and give battle. Yuan Tan bade Peng An 팽안 accept the challenge. After a few bouts Peng An was slain; and Yuan Tan, having lost, fled and went into Nanpi, where he was besieged. Yuan Tan, panic-stricken, sent Xin Ping 신평 to see Cao Cao and arrange surrender.

45 "He is nothing but a fickle-minded child," said Cao Cao. "He is never of the same mind two days running, and I cannot depend upon what he says. Now your brother Xin Pi 신비 is in my employ and has a post of importance, you had better remain here also."

46 "Sir Prime Minister, you are in error," said Xin Ping. "It is said that the lord's honor is the servant's glory; the lord's sadness is the servant's shame. How can I turn my back on the family I have so long served?"

47 Cao Cao felt he could not be persuaded and sent him back. Xin Ping returned and told Yuan Tan the surrender could not be arranged.

48 Yuan Tan turned on him angrily, saying, "Your brother is with Cao Cao, and you want to betray me also!"

49 At this unmerited reproach such a huge wave of anger welled up in Xin Ping's breast that he was overcome and fell in a swoon. They carried him out, but the shock had been too severe, and soon after he died. Yuan Tan regretted his conduct when it was too late.

50 Then Guo Tu 곽도 said, "Tomorrow when we go out to battle, we will drive the people out in front as a screen for the soldiers, and we must fight a winning battle."

51 That night they assembled all the common people of the place and forced into their hands swords and spears. At daylight they opened the four gates, and a huge party with much shouting came out at each, peasantry carrying arms in front, and soldiers behind them. They pushed on toward Cao Cao's camps, and a melee began lasted till near midday. But this was quite indecisive, although heaps of dead lay everywhere.

52 Seeing that success was at best only partial, Cao Cao rode out to the hills near and thence had the drums beaten for a new attack under his own eye. His officers and troops, seeing that he could observe them in person, exerted themselves to the utmost, and Yuan Tan's army was severely defeated. Of the peasantry driven into the battlefield, multitudes were slain.

53 Cao Hong 조홍, who displayed very great valor, burst into the press of battle and met Yuan Tan face to face. The two slashed and hammered at each other, and Yuan Tan was killed.

54 Guo Tu saw that his side was wholly disorganized and tried to withdraw into the shelter of Nanpi. Yue Jing 악진 saw this and opened a tremendous discharge of arrows so that Guo Tu fell and the moat was soon filled with dead.

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,