삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 034-03 단계를 건너뛰다

建安十二年春,甘夫人生劉禪。是夜有白鶴一隻,飛來縣衙屋上,高鳴四十餘聲,望西飛去。臨分娩時,異香滿室。甘夫人嘗夜夢仰吞北斗,故乳名阿斗。

此時曹操正統兵北征。玄德乃往荊州,說劉表曰:「今曹操北征,許昌空虛,若以荊、襄之眾,乘間襲之,大事可就也。」表曰:「吾坐據荊州足矣,豈可別圖?」玄德默然。表邀入後堂飲酒。酒至半酣,表忽然長歎。玄德曰:「兄長何故長歎?」表曰:「吾有心事,未易明言。」玄德再欲問時,蔡夫人出立屏後。劉表乃垂頭不語。

須臾席散,玄德自歸新野。至是年冬,聞曹操自柳城回,玄德甚歎表之不用其言。忽一日,劉表遣使至,請玄德赴荊州相會。玄德隨使而往,劉表接著,敘禮畢,請入後堂飲宴;因謂玄德曰:「近聞曹操提兵回許都,勢日強盛,必有吞併荊、襄之心,昔日悔不聽賢弟之言,失此好機會!」玄德曰:「今天下分裂,干戈日起,機會豈有盡乎?若能應之於後,未足為恨也。」表曰:「吾弟之言甚當。」相與對飲。

酒酣,表忽潸然下淚。玄德問其故。表曰:「吾有心事,前者欲訴與賢弟,未得其便。」玄德曰:「兄長有何難決之事?倘有用弟之處,弟雖死不辭。」表曰:「前妻陳氏所生長子琦,為人雖賢,而柔懦不足立大事;後妻蔡氏所生少子琮,頗聰明。吾欲廢長立幼,恐礙於禮法;欲立長子,爭奈蔡氏族中,皆掌軍務,後必生亂:因此委決不下。」玄德曰:「自古廢長立幼,取亂之道。若憂蔡氏權重,可徐徐削之,不可溺愛而立少子也。」表默然。原來蔡夫人素疑玄德,凡遇玄德與表敘論,必來竊聽;是時正在屏風後,聞玄德此言,心甚恨之。

玄德自知語失,遂起身如廁。因見己身髀肉復生,亦不覺潸然流淚。少頃復入席。表見玄德有淚容,怪問之。玄德長歎曰:「備往常身不離鞍,髀肉皆散;今久不騎,髀裡肉生。日月蹉跎,老將至矣,而功業不建,是以悲耳!」表曰:「吾聞賢弟在許昌,與曹操青梅煮酒,共論英雄;賢弟盡舉當世名士,操皆不許,而獨曰:『天下英雄,惟使君與操耳。』以曹操之權力,猶不敢居吾弟之先,何慮功業不建乎?」玄德乘著酒興,失口答曰:「備若有基本,天下碌碌之輩,誠不足慮也。」表聞言默然。玄德自知失語,託醉而起,歸館舍安歇,後人有詩讚玄德曰:

曹公屈指從頭數,
天下英雄獨使君。
髀肉復生猶感歎,
爭教寰宇不三分?

38 In the spring of the twelfth year of Rebuilt Tranquillity (AD 207 건안12년), Liu Bei's wife, Lady Gan 감부인, gave birth to a son who was named Liu Shan 유선. The night of his birth a crane settled on the roof of the house, screeched some forty times and then flew away westward.

39 Just at the time of birth a miraculous incense filled the chamber. Lady Gan one night had dreamed that she was looking up at the sky, and the constellation of the Great Bear had fallen down her throat. And she conceived soon after.

40 While Cao Cao was absent from the capital on his northern expedition, Liu Bei went to Liu Biao and said to him, "Why do you not take this opportunity to march against the capital 허도? An empire might follow from that."

41 "I am well placed here," was the reply. "Why should I attempt other things?"

42 Liu Bei said no more. Then the Imperial Protector invited him into the private apartments to drink. While they were so engaged, Liu Biao suddenly began to sigh despondently.

43 "O brother, why do you sigh thus?" asked Liu Bei.

44 "I have a secret sorrow that is difficult to speak about," said Liu Biao.

45 Liu Bei was on the point of asking what it was when Lady Cai came and stood behind the screen, whereat Liu Biao hung his head and became silent. Before long host and guest bade each other farewell, and Liu Bei went back to his own place at Xinye 신야.

46 That winter they heard that Cao Cao had returned from Liucheng 유성, and Liu Bei sighed when he reflected that his friend had paid no heed to his advice.

47 Unexpectedly a messenger came from the capital city with a request that Liu Bei would go thither to consult with the Imperial Protector. So he started at once with the messenger to Jingzhou City. He was received very kindly, and when the salutations were over, the two men went into the private quarters at the rear to dine.

48 Presently Liu Biao said, "Cao Cao has returned, and he is stronger than ever. I am afraid he means to absorb this region 형주와 양양. I am sorry I did not follow your advice for I have missed an opportunity."

49 "In this period of disruption, with strife on every side, one cannot pretend that there will be no more opportunities. If you only take what that offers, there will be nothing to regret."

50 "What you say, brother, is quite to the point," replied Liu Biao.

51 They drank on for a time till presently Liu Bei noticed that his host was weeping, and when he asked the cause of these tears, Liu Biao replied, "It is that secret sorrow I spoke of to you before. I wished to tell you, but there was no opportunity that day."

52 "O brother, what difficulty have you, and can I assist you? I am entirely at your service."

53 "My first wife, of the Chen family 진씨, bore me a son Liu Qi 유기, my eldest. He grew up virtuous but weakly and unfitted to succeed me in my office. Later I took a wife of the Cai family 채씨, who bore me a son named Liu Zong 유종, fairly intelligent. If I pass over the elder in favor of the younger, there is the breach of the rule of primogeniture. But if I follow law and custom, there are the intrigues of the Cai family and clan to be reckoned with. Further, the army is in the hollow of their hands. There will be trouble, and I cannot decide what to do."

54 Liu Bei said, "All experience proves that to set aside the elder for the younger is to take the way of confusion. If you fear the power of the Cai faction, then gradually reduce its power and influence, but do not let doting affection lead you into making the younger your heir."

55 Liu Biao pondered silent. But Lady Cai had had a suspicion why her lord had summoned Liu Bei and what was the subject of discussion, so she had determined to listen secretly. She was behind the screen when the matter was talked over, and she conceived deep resentment against Liu Bei for what he had said.

56 On his side, Liu Bei felt that his advice had fallen upon a forbidden subject, and he arose and walked across the room. As he did so he noticed that he was getting heavy and stiff, and a furtive tear stole down his cheek as he thought of the past. When he returned and sat down, his host noticed the traces of weeping and asked the cause of his sorrow.

57 "In the past I was always in the saddle, and I was slender and lithe. Now it is so long since I rode that I am getting stout, and the days and months are slipping by---wasted. I shall have old age on me in no time, and I have accomplished nothing. So I am sad."

58 "I have heard a story that when you were at Xuchang at the season of green plums, you and Cao Cao were discussing heroes. You mentioned this name and that to him as humans of parts, and he rejected everyone of them. Finally he said that you and he were the only two persons of real worth in the whole empire. If he with all his power and authority did not dare to place himself in front of you, I do not think you need grieve about having accomplished nothing."

59 At this flattering speech Liu Bei, as wine was getting the better of him and in a half maudlin manner, replied, "If I only had a starting point, then I would not be afraid of anyone in a world full of fools."

60 His host said no more and the guest, feeling that he had slipped up in speech, rose as if drunk, took leave, and staggered out saying he must return to his lodging to recover.

61 The episode has been celebrated in a poem:

62 When with crooking fingers counting, 
Cao Cao reckoned up the forceful 
Humans of real determination, 
Only two he found; and one was 

Liu Bei. But by inaction 
He had grown both fat and slothful; 
Yet the months and years in passing 
Fretted him with nought accomplished.

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,