삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 027-04 홀로 천릿길을 달리다

普淨請關公方丈待茶。關公曰:「二位夫人在車上,可先獻茶。」普淨教取茶先奉夫人,然後請關入方丈。普淨以手舉所佩戒刀,以目視關公。公會意,命左右持刀緊隨。卞喜請關公於法堂筵席。關公曰:「卞君請關某,是好意?還是歹意?」卞喜未及回言,關公早望見壁衣中有刀斧手,乃大喝卞喜曰:「吾以汝為好人,安敢如此!」

卞喜知事泄,大叫:「左右下手!」左右方欲動手,皆被關公拔劍砍之。卞喜下堂遶廊而走,關公棄劍執大刀來趕。卞喜暗取飛鎚擲打關公。關公用刀隔開鎚,趕將入去,一刀劈卞喜為兩段,隨即回身來看二嫂。早有軍人圍住,見關公來,四下奔走。關公趕散,謝普淨曰:「若非吾師,已被此賊害矣。」普淨曰:「貧僧此處難容,收拾衣缽,亦往他處雲游也。後會有期,將軍保重。」

關公稱謝,護送車仗,住滎陽進發。滎陽太守王植,卻與韓福是兩親家;聞得關公殺了韓福,商議欲暗害關公,乃使人守住關口。待關公到時,王植出關,喜笑相迎。關公訴說尋兄之事。植曰:「將軍於路驅馳,夫人車上勞困,且請入城,館驛中暫歇一宵,來日登途未遲。」

關公見王植意甚殷勤,遂請二嫂入城。館驛中皆鋪陳了當。王植請公赴宴,公辭不往;植使人送筵席至館驛。關公因於路辛苦,請二嫂膳畢,就正房歇定;令從者各自安歇,飽餵馬匹。關公亦解甲憩息。 

卻說王植密喚從事胡班聽令曰:「關某背丞相而逃,又於路殺太守并守關將校,死罪不輕!此人武勇難敵。汝今晚點一千軍圍住館驛,一人一個火把,待三更時分,一齊放火;不問是誰,盡皆燒死!吾亦自引軍接應。」胡班領命,便點起軍士,密將乾柴引火之物,搬於館驛門首,約時舉事。胡班尋思:「我久聞關雲長之名,不識如何模樣,試往窺之。」乃至驛中,問驛吏曰:「關將軍在何處?」答曰:「正廳上觀書者是也。」

胡班潛至廳前,見關公左手綽髯,於燈下几看書。班見了,失聲歎曰:「真天人也!」公問何人。胡班入拜曰:「滎陽太守部下從事胡班。」關公曰:「莫非許都城外胡華之子否?」班曰:「然也。」公喚從者於行李中取書付班。班看畢,歎曰:「險些誤殺忠良!」遂密告曰:「王植心懷不仁,欲害將軍,暗令人四面圍住館驛,約於三更放火。今某當先去開了城門,將軍急收拾出城。」

關公大驚,忙披挂提刀上馬,請二嫂上車,盡出館驛,果見軍士各執火把聽候。關公急來到城邊,只見城門已開。關公催車仗急急出城。胡班還去放火。關公行不到數里,背後火把照耀,人馬趕來。當先王植大叫:「關某休走!」關公勒馬,大罵:「匹夫!我與你無讎,如何令人放火燒我?」王植拍馬挺鎗,逕奔關公;被關公攔腰一刀,砍為兩段。人馬都趕散。關公催車仗速行,於路感胡班不已。

93 Bian Xi invited the visitor into the guest room to take tea, but Guan Yu said, "The two ladies are out there in the carriage. They ought to have some first."

94 So the priest bade them take some tea to the ladies, and then he led Guan Yu within, at the same time lifting the priest knife which he wore at his side and looking meaningfully at Guan Yu. The latter understood and told his people to bring along his weapon and keep close at his side.

95 When Bian Xi invited Guan Yu to go into the Hall of the Laws for some refreshment, Guan Yu turned to him, saying, "Is this invitation with good intention or evil?"

96 Bian Xi was so taken aback that he could make no reply, and then Guan Yu saw that many armed men were concealed behind the arras.

97 Then Guan Yu shouted loudly at Bian Xi, saying, "What means this? I thought you an honorable man. How dare you?"

98 The traitor saw that his plot had failed and called to the assassins to come out and fall to, but Guan Yu had a short sword in his hand and slashed at anyone who came near. So they scattered. Their commander ran down the hall and tried to escape among the side buildings, but Guan Yu threw aside the short sword, took up the green-dragon saber and went after Bian Xi. The latter was trying to get into position to throw his comet-hammer, but Guan Yu cut the cord and the weapon was useless. Guan Yu followed Bian Xi in and out and soon caught up with him. Then with one blow Guan Yu cut him in halves.

99 The fight over, Guan Yu sought the two ladies, who were surrounded by soldiers. These fled at sight of the terrible warrior. Seeking out the priest, his fellow countryman, he thanked him for the timely warning which had saved him from death.

100 "I cannot remain here after this," said Transverse Peace. "I shall pack up my few garments and my alms bowl and take to the road, vague in my wanderings as the clouds in the sky. But we shall meet again and till then take care of yourself."

101 Then Guan Yu took leave and retook the road to Yingyang. The Governor of this city was named Wang Zhi, and he was related to Han Qu by their children's marriage. Hearing of the death of his relative, Wang Zhi set about a scheme to kill Guan Yu secretly. He sent soldiers to guard the city gates and, when he heard that Guan Yu approached, he went himself and received Guan Yu with a smiling countenance and bade Guan Yu welcome. Guan Yu told him the object of his journey.

102 "You, General, have been able to get some exercise on the road, but the ladies in their carriage must be cramped and fatigued. I pray you come into the city, and all of you remain the night in the official travelers' quarters. Tomorrow you can set forth again."

103 The offer was tempting, and his host seemed in earnest, so the two ladies went into the city, where they found everything very comfortably prepared for them. And, though Guan Yu declined the Governor's invitations to a banquet, refreshments for the travelers were sent to their lodgings. Guan Yu was fatigued from the trials of the journey, and as soon as the evening meal was over, he bade the ladies retire to rest while he sat down in the main room, quite alone, for he bade all to get repose while they could. His horse was given a good feed for once. He sat with his armor loosened in order to be more at ease.

104 Now Governor Wang Zhi had a general named Hu Ban to whom he had entrusted the arrangements for the destruction of his guest.

105 Said Wang Zhi, "This Guan Yu is a traitor to the Prime Minister and a fugitive. On the road he has murdered several pass commanders and is guilty of serious crimes. But he is too strong and valiant for any ordinary soldier to overcome. So this evening you will lead a whole company of a thousand troops to surround his lodging, each one armed with a torch, and we will burn him. They will start the fire about midnight. Everyone of the party will perish. I will come with a force to stand by and assist if necessary."

106 These orders received, Hu Ban passed them on to the soldiers, who began secretly to prepare dry wood and other combustibles which they piled up at the gate of the rest house. Hu Ban thought within himself that he would like to know what manner of man was this Guan Yu, whose fame had spread so far, so he determined to get a peep at the guest. He went to the rest house and inquired where Guan Yu was.

107 "The General is the man in the main hall reading," was the reply.

108 Hu Ban noiselessly made his way to the outside of the room and peeped in. He saw the famous warrior stroking his beard with his left hand while he read by the light of a lamp placed on a low table. An involuntary exclamation of wonder escaped at the majesty of the figure.

109 "Really a god!" Hu Ban sighed.

110 "Who is there?" suddenly asked the reader at the sound.

111 Hu Ban entered and said, "I am Hu Ban, a general of the Governor."

112 "Surely you are the son of Hu Hua, who lives outside Xuchang," said Guan Yu.

113 "I am he," replied Hu Ban.

114 Then Guan Yu called up his followers and bade them look among the baggage for the letter, which they brought. Guan Yu handed it to the general.

115 Hu Ban read it and then breathed long, saying, "I very nearly caused the death of a good man."

116 Then he betrayed the whole plot, saying, "This Wang Zhi is a wicked man, who wanted to kill you. At this moment you are surrounded, and at the third watch they will set fire to this place. Now I will go and open the city gates while you hastily prepare for flight."

117 Guan Yu was greatly surprised, but he quickly buckled up his armor, got his steed ready, roused the two ladies, and put them into their carriage. Then they left the rest house; and as they passed out, they saw the soldiers all about them, each with a torch. The party hastened to the outskirts of the city and found the gate already open, and they lost no time in getting clear of the city. Hu Ban returned to give orders to fire the rest house.

118 The fugitives pressed on. But before long they saw lights coming up behind them, and Wang Zhi called out to them to stop.

119 Guan Yu reined in his horse and began to abuse him, crying, "Worthless fellow! What had you against me that you wished to burn me to death?"

120 Wang Zhi whipped up his steed and set his spear, but Guan Yu cut him through with the short sword he wore at his side and scattered his followers.

121 Then the carriage pushed on. Guan Yu's heart was filled with gratitude to Hu Ban.

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,