삼국지 인물 찾아보기

Chapter 103-04 오장원

且說孔明自引一軍屯於五丈原,累今人搦戰,魏兵不出。孔明乃取巾幗並婦人縞素之服,盛於大盒之內,修書一封,遣人送至魏寨。諸將不敢隱蔽,引來使入見司馬懿。懿對眾吞盒視之,內有巾幗婦人之衣,並書一封。懿拆視其書。略曰:仲達既為大將,統領中原之眾,不思披堅執銳,以決雌雄,乃甘窟守土巢,謹避刀箭,與婦人又何異哉!今遣人送巾幗素衣。至如不出戰,可再拜而受之;倘恥心未泯,猶有男子胸襟,早與批回,依期卦敵。

司馬懿看畢,心中大怒;乃佯笑曰:「孔明視我為婦人耶?」即受之,令重待來使。懿問日:「孔明寢食及事之煩簡若何?」使者曰:「丞相夙興夜寐,罰二十以上皆親覽焉。所啖之食,日不過數升。」懿顧謂諸將曰:「孔明食少事煩,其能久乎!」

使者辭去,回到五丈原,見了孔明,具說:「司馬懿受了巾幗女衣,看了書札,並不嗔怒,只問丞相寢食及事之煩簡,絕不提起軍旅之事。某如此應對,彼言『食少事煩,豈能長久?』」孔明歎曰:「彼深知我也!」

主簿楊顒曰:「某見丞相常自校簿書,竊以為不必。夫為治有體,上下不可相侵。譬之治家之道,必使僕擲執耕,婢曲爨,私業無曠,所求皆足,其家立從容自在,高枕飲食而已,若皆身親其事,將形疲神困,終無一成。豈其智之不如婢僕哉?失為家主之道也。是故古人稱坐而論道,謂之『三公』;作而行之,謂之『士大夫』。昔丙吉憂牛喘,而不問橫道死人;陳平不知錢穀之數,曰:『自有主者。』今丞相親理細事,汗流終日,豈不勞乎?司馬懿之言,真至言也。」孔明泣曰:「吾非不知,但受先帝託孤之重,惟恐他人不似我盡心也!」眾皆垂淚。自此孔明自覺神思不寧,諸將因此未敢進兵。

卻說魏將皆知孔明以巾幗女衣辱司馬懿,懿受之不戰。眾將俱忿,入帳告曰:「我等皆大國名將,安忍受蜀人如此之辱?即請出戰,以決雌雄。」懿曰:「吾非不敢出戰,而甘心受辱也:奈于子明詔,令堅守無動。今若輕出,有違君命矣。」眾將俱忿怒不平。懿曰:「汝等既要出戰,待我奏淮天子,同力赴敵,何如?」眾皆允諾。懿乃寫表遣使,直至合淝軍前,奏聞魏主曹叡。叡拆表覽之。表略曰:臣才簿任重,伏蒙明旨,今臣堅守不戰,以待蜀人之自敝;奈今諸葛亮遺臣以巾幗,待臣如婦人,恥辱至甚!臣謹先達聖聰:旦夕將效死一戰,以報朝廷之恩,以雪三軍之恥。臣不勝激切之至!

叡覽訖,乃謂多官曰:「司馬懿堅守不出,今何故又上表求戰?」衛尉辛毗曰:「司馬懿本無戰心,必因諸葛亮恥辱,眾將忿怒之故,特上此表,欲更乞明旨,以遏諸將之心耳。」叡然其言,即令辛毗持節至渭北寨傳諭,令勿出戰。司馬懿接詔入帳,辛毗宣諭曰:「如再有敢言出戰者,即以違旨論。」眾將只得奉詔。懿暗謂辛毗曰:「公真知我心也。」

99 Then he confirmed the order to remain strictly on the defensive till some change of circumstances on the part of the enemy should promise advantage.

100 After his army had settled into camp on the Wuzhang Hills, Zhuge Liang continued his attempts to provoke a battle. Day after day, parties went to challenge the army of Wei, but they resisted all provocation.

101 One day Zhuge Liang wrote a letter, which he sent to his rival. The generals led the bearer of the letter to their chief. Sima Yi opened the letter, which read something like this:

102 "Friend Sima Yi, although you are the Commander-in-Chief and lead the armies of the Middle Land, you seem but little disposed to display the firmness and valor that would render a contest decisive. Instead, you have prepared a comfortable lair where you are safe from the keen edge of the sword. Are you not very like a coward? Wherefore I send this letter, and you will humbly accept it and the humiliation, unless, indeed, you finally decide to come out and fight like a warrior. If you are not entirely indifferent to shame, if you retain any of the feelings of a leader, you will answer by giving battle."

103 Sima Yi, although inwardly raging, pretended to take it all as a joke and smiled.

104 "So he regards me as a coward," said he.

105 He accepted the letter and treated the messenger well. Before the messenger left, Sima Yi asked him a few questions about his master's eating and sleeping and hours of labor.

106 "The Prime Minister works very hard," said the messenger. "He rises early and retires to bed late. He attends personally to all cases requiring punishment of over twenty of strokes. As for food, he does not eat more than a few pints of grain daily."

107 "Indeed, Zhuge Liang eats little and works much," remarked Sima Yi to his generals. "Can he last long?"

108 The messenger returned to his own side and reported to Zhuge Liang, saying, "Sima Yi took the whole episode in good part and shown no sign of anger. He only asked about the Prime Minister's hours of rest, and food, and such things. He said no word about military matters. I told him that you ate little and worked long hours, and then he said, 'Can he last long?' That was all."

109 "He knows me," said Zhuge Liang, pensively.

110 First Secretary Yang Yong presently ventured to remonstrate with his chief.

111 "I notice," said Yang Yong, "that you check the books personally. I think that is needless labor for a Prime Minister to undertake. In every administration the higher and subordinate ranks have their especial fields of activity, and each should confine his labors to his own field. In a household, for example, the male plows and the female cooks, and thus operations are carried on without waste of energy, and all needs are supplied. If one individual strives to attend personally to every matter, he only wearies himself and fails to accomplish his end. How can he possibly hope to perform all the various tasks well?

112 "And, indeed, the ancients held this same opinion, for they said that the high officers should attend to the discussion of ways and means, and the lower should carry out details. Of old, Bing Ji was moved to deep thought by the panting of an ox, but inquired not about the corpses of certain brawlers which lay about the road, for this matter concerned the magistrate. Chen Ping was ignorant of the figures relating to taxes, for he said these were the concern of the tax controllers. O Prime Minister, you weary yourself with minor details and sweat yourself everyday. You are wearing yourself out, and Sima Yi has good reason for what he said."

113 "I know---I cannot but know," replied Zhuge Liang with tears in his eyes. "But this heavy responsibility was laid upon me, and I fear no other will be so devoted as I am."

114 Those who heard him wept. Thereafter Zhuge Liang appeared more and more harassed, and military operations did not speed.

115 On the other side the officers of Wei resented bitterly the insult that had been put upon them when their leader had been presented with the provocative letter.

116 They wished to avenge the taunt, and went to their general, saying, "We are reputable generals of the army of a great state. How can we put up with such insults from these soldiers of Shu? We pray you let us fight them."

117 "It is not that I fear to go out," said Sima Yi, "nor that I relish the insults, but I have the Emperor's command to hold on and may not disobey."

118 The officers were not in the least appeased.

119 Wherefore Sima Yi said, "I will send your request to the Throne in a memorial. What think you of that?"

120 They consented to await the Emperor's reply, and a messenger bore to the Ruler of Wei, in Hefei, this memorial:

121 "I have small ability and high office. Your Majesty laid on me the command to defend and not fight till the army of Shu had suffered by the flux of time. But Zhuge Liang has now sent me a letter openly calling me a coward, and my shame is very deep. Wherefore I advise Your Majesty that one day I shall have to fight in order to justify your kindness to me and to remove the shameful stigma that now rests upon my army. I cannot express the degree to which I am urged to this course."

122 Cao Rui read it and turned questioningly to his courtiers seeking an explanation.

123 Said he, "Sima Yi has been in obstinate defense: Why does he want to attack now?"

124 Commander Xin Pi replied, "Sima Yi has no desire to give battle. This memorial is because of the shame put upon the officers by Zhuge Liang's letter. They are all in a rage. He wishes for an edict to pacify them."

125 Cao Rui understood and gave to Xin Pi an authority ensign and sent him to the River Wei camp to make known that it was the Emperor's command not to fight.

126 Sima Yi received the messenger with all respect, and it was given out that any future reference to offering battle would be taken as disobedience to the Emperor's especial command in the edict.

127 The officers could but obey.

128 Sima Yi said to Xin Pi, "Noble Sir, you interpreted my own desire correctly!"

129 It was thenceforward understood that Sima Yi was forbidden to give battle.

삼국지 백과사전 인물, 지명, 병법, 전투, 무기, 관직, More...

한국 Korea Tour in Subkorea.com Road, Islands, Mountains, Tour Place, Beach, Festival, University, Golf Course, Stadium, History Place, Natural Monument, Paintings, Pottery, K-jokes, UNESCO Heritage, 중국 China Tour in Subkorea.com History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, J-Cartoons, 일본 Japan Tour in Subkorea.com Tour Place, Baduk, Golf Course, Stadium, University, History, Idioms, UNESCO Heritage, E-jokes, 인도 India Tour in Subkorea.com History, UNESCO Heritage, Tour Place, Golf Course, Stadium, University, Paintings,