SubKorea > 축구 > 2005년 세계청소년 > 스코어보드 > 미국 : 독일

Group D 2차전 FIFA World Youth Championship 
USA, Germany settle for a point apiece (0:0) 
( 15 Jun 2005 
Goals Scored: 
German keeper Rene Adler makes a flying save to deny the Americans. Alex Morton ACTION IMAGES   
The United States and Germany drew 0-0 in Enschede in the second round of matches in Group D of the FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005. Even though there were no goals, the spectators enjoyed an exciting game that was dominated by the Americans for the first hour, before the Germans upped the tempo late on. 
US coach Sigi Schmid made only one change from the side that had beaten Argentina, with Nathan Sturgis coming into the starting line-up in place of the injured Jonathan Spector. The Germans made three changes, with Andreas Ottl coming back into the starting eleven after recovering from his pulled muscle. This time Nicky Adler, a goalscorer in the opening game against Egypt, and Christopher Reinhard were on the field from the kick-off. 
In a hard-fought contest, both teams showed good concentration in the opening minutes. The Americans rapidly established a clear advantage, and Freddy Adu created the first dangerous move after 10 minutes, curling in a cross from the right that the German defence managed to clear. Just after the quarter-hour Hunter Freeman took aim from 20 metres, but his shot flew wide of the target. 
USA dictating the tempo 
Team USA increasingly sought to break through the right-hand side of the German defence. Just over half an hour had been played when at the other end Michael Delura carved out one of just a handful of German chances. His shot from the right-hand corner of the penalty area was well gathered by US goalkeeper Quentin Westberg. Despite German attempts to counter, the American continued to dictate the rhythm of the game as the first half wore on, and Marcel Schuon was twice forced to make emergency clearances. 
Seven minutes before half-time Adu went off on a solo run from midfield and played in Eddie Gaven perfectly, but Ren? Adler did brilliantly to keep the ball out. From the ensuing corner the German goalkeeper again performed heroics to keep Gaven at bay. The American youngsters were now pushing hard for the lead, and Adu had the next good opening, but as the spectators roared with excitement his shot was blocked. The Germans held on, and a deflected shot from Ottl came closing to finding its way into the US net. 
16-year-old Freddy Adu takes the pitch for the USA against Germany. (ACTION IMAGES) Alex Morton  

The Americans emerged for the second half still on top. Adu found Benny Feilhaber with a cross, but his 53rd minute shot went wide. German coach Michael Skibbe was on his feet, urging his players to show more movement, push further forward and disrupt the Americans' build-up play. 
Germany gain control 
Just past the hour mark, the German players began to show more aggression, although the USA remained dominant, and Adu sent in a powerful shot from the left that Adler gathered safely. Then, in the final 15 minutes the Germans threw men forward, with Marcell Janssen causing problems down the left. Having looked comfortable for long periods, the US defence was now floundering. Senesie failed to convert a cross from Delura, while substitute Francis Banecki was out of luck with a shot. Senesie had one final chance to hit the winner, but at the end the score remained goalless. 
Skibbe said after the game: "Congratulations to the USA, who performed brilliantly for more than an hour. I have to admit this is a good point for us, even though we were on top at the end. Still, the draw is a good result for both teams." 
US coach Sigi Schmid said: "I am very proud of my boys, because we showed that we don't have to be afraid of anyone. The Germans gave us problems toward the end, when they changed their tactics after an hour." Freddy Adu was disappointed: "We played really well and were unlucky not to score. It was a good game, the way it swung back and forth."