개역한글성경 구약. , , , , , , , 룻, 삼상, 삼하, 왕상, 왕하, 대상, 대하, , 느, , 욥, , 잠, , 아, , 렘, , 겔, , 호, , 암, , 욘, , 나, , 습, , 슥,

20141208 Monday, December 8 2014
Psalm 017: Awake

by Wayne Blank
See also 1 Year Holy Bible Reading Plan

"I will behold Thy Face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with Thy Likeness"

The English word "awake" originated from an Anglo-Saxon word, dwacan, that meant to rise from sleep. It has since further come to be used for a state of becoming aware and beginning a new and better life based upon that awareness. Both meanings are widely expressed in the Holy Bible - from merely awakening from a night's sleep, to beginning a new life toward salvation after being awakened to the way of the LORD (in effect, the way in a-way-kening), to the awakening from the dead that humanity will experience at the times of resurrection (see the Fact Finder question below).

Everyone experiences a "death" and "resurrection" every day of their physical lives. "The dead know not any thing" (Ecclesiastes 9:5 KJV) in the same way that those who sleep soundly through the night are oblivious to the world around them. Sleep is itself an object-lesson prophecy (see also Job's Prophecy Of The Resurrection and Resurrection and Reincarnation: What's The Difference?).

"16:20 And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him." (Judges 16:20 KJV)

"3:15 And Solomon awoke; and, behold, it was a dream. And he came to Jerusalem, and stood before the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and offered up burnt offerings, and offered peace offerings, and made a feast to all his servants." (1 Kings 3:15 KJV)

"16:27 And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled. 16:28 But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here." (Acts 16:27-28 KJV)

The Messiah was born as a normal human. He experienced deep sleep in the same way as everyone else.

"8:22 Now it came to pass on a certain day, that he went into a ship with his disciples: and he said unto them, Let us go over unto the other side of the lake. And they launched forth.

8:23 But as they sailed he fell asleep: and there came down a storm of wind on the lake; and they were filled with water, and were in jeopardy.

8:24 And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, master, we perish.

Then he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm.

8:25 And he said unto them, Where is your faith?

And they being afraid wondered, saying one to another, What manner of man is this! for he commandeth even the winds and water, and they obey him." (Luke 8:22-25 KJV)

Turning from a dead-end way of life is also an awakening because the "night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light."

"13:11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light." (Romans 13:11-12 KJV)

"15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame. 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come? 15:36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:" (1 Corinthians 15:34-36 KJV)

"5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light." (Ephesians 5:13-14 KJV)

The resurrections (see the Fact Finder question below) are plainly described as an awakening from the "sleep" of death.

"26:19 Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead." (Isaiah 26:19 KJV)

"12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever." (Daniel 12:2-3 KJV)

"11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. 11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. 11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep." (John 11:11-13 KJV)

King David was also a prophet who knew and understood that "I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness" (see The Morning Blessing, David's Sepulchre and The Righteous Don't Fear The Reaper).

"17:1 A Prayer of David.

Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips. 17:2 Let my sentence come forth from thy presence; let thine eyes behold the things that are equal.

17:3 Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress. 17:4 Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer. 17:5 Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not.

17:6 I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech. 17:7 Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them. 17:8 Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings, 17:9 From the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, who compass me about.

17:10 They are inclosed in their own fat: with their mouth they speak proudly. 17:11 They have now compassed us in our steps: they have set their eyes bowing down to the earth; 17:12 Like as a lion that is greedy of his prey, and as it were a young lion lurking in secret places.

17:13 Arise, O LORD, disappoint him, cast him down: deliver my soul from the wicked, which is thy sword: 17:14 From men which are thy hand, O LORD, from men of the world, which have their portion in this life, and whose belly thou fillest with thy hid treasure: they are full of children, and leave the rest of their substance to their babes. 17:15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness." (Psalm 17:1-15 KJV)

Fact Finder: What will happen at the time of the resurrections? When will they happen?
See The Harvests Of Salvation and Is 'Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust' Really In The Bible?; also The Postponement Of Death and The Eighth Day: Empty Cemeteries

개역한글성경 신약. , , , , , 롬, 고전, 고후, , 엡, , 골, 살전, 살후, 딤전, 딤후, , 몬, , 약, 벧전, 벧후, 요일, 요이, 요삼, 유,