개역한글성경 구약. , , , , , , , 룻, 삼상, 삼하, 왕상, 왕하, 대상, 대하, , 느, , 욥, , 잠, , 아, , 렘, , 겔, , 호, , 암, , 욘, , 나, , 습, , 슥,

20150120 Tuesday, January 20 2015
Psalm 060: The Race That Is Set Before Us

by Wayne Blank
See also 1 Year Holy Bible Reading Plan

"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us"

The English word "winner" originated from an Anglo-Saxon word, pronounced winnan, which meant to endure, or to struggle i.e. to never give up. The original word did not necessarily mean to "win" against some other human, but rather to endure to the end, regardless of how well someone else does in the same struggle. The actual meaning of "Israel" in Hebrew has the very same applied purpose.

On the day that the LORD changed Jacob's name to "Israel" (the photo shows the area where it happened; see A Biography Of Jacob: When Jacob Became Israel), Jacob did not defeat his opponent, but he overcame the challenge by never giving up. It's for that very reason that true Christians are the fulfillment of "Israel."

"32:22 And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two womenservants, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok. 32:23 And he took them, and sent them over the brook, and sent over that he had.

32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.

32:25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. 32:26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh.

And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

32:27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.

32:28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

32:29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name.

And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.

32:30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

32:31 And as he passed over Penuel the sun rose upon him, and he halted upon his thigh. 32:32 Therefore the children of Israel eat not of the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew that shrank." (Genesis 32:22-32 KJV)

There was no greater winner than the Messiah (see What Happened When The Messiah Arrived In Heaven?) - even though His truth-hating enemies at the time thought that they had "won" (see Innocent Blood).

"2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:5-11 KJV)

True Christian victory happens at the destination, so "let us run with patience the race that is set before us" (see What Was The Lesson Of John 3:16? and What Will Happen On Your Next Birthday?).

"12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 12:3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. 12:5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? 12:10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. 12:12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; 12:13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed." (Hebrews 12:1-13 KJV)

King David was one of the greatest prophets and Christian teachers of all time. David understood that the victory comes with the deliverance into the Kingdom of God, so "Through God we shall do valiantly."

"60:1 To the chief Musician upon Shushaneduth, Michtam of David, to teach; when he strove with Aramnaharaim and with Aramzobah, when Joab returned, and smote of Edom in the valley of salt twelve thousand.

O God, thou hast cast us off, thou hast scattered us, thou hast been displeased; O turn thyself to us again. 60:2 Thou hast made the earth to tremble; thou hast broken it: heal the breaches thereof; for it shaketh. 60:3 Thou hast shewed thy people hard things: thou hast made us to drink the wine of astonishment. 60:4 Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah.

60:5 That thy beloved may be delivered; save with thy right hand, and hear me. 60:6 God hath spoken in his holiness; I will rejoice, I will divide Shechem, and mete out the valley of Succoth. 60:7 Gilead is mine, and Manasseh is mine; Ephraim also is the strength of mine head; Judah is my lawgiver; 60:8 Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe: Philistia, triumph thou because of me.

60:9 Who will bring me into the strong city? who will lead me into Edom? 60:10 Wilt not thou, O God, which hadst cast us off? and thou, O God, which didst not go out with our armies? 60:11 Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man. 60:12 Through God we shall do valiantly: for he it is that shall tread down our enemies." (Psalm 60:1-12 KJV)

Fact Finder: What are some of the familiar Christian teachings that are found in the writings of King David?
See The LORD Is My Shepherd and David's View From The Cross; also David's View Of Hell Fire and Paradise and On Course

개역한글성경 신약. , , , , , 롬, 고전, 고후, , 엡, , 골, 살전, 살후, 딤전, 딤후, , 몬, , 약, 벧전, 벧후, 요일, 요이, 요삼, 유,