개역한글성경 구약. , , , , , , , 룻, 삼상, 삼하, 왕상, 왕하, 대상, 대하, , 느, , 욥, , 잠, , 아, , 렘, , 겔, , 호, , 암, , 욘, , 나, , 습, , 슥,

20150322 Sunday, March 22 2015
Psalm 120: A Song Of Degrees

by Wayne Blank
See also 1 Year Holy Bible Reading Plan

"A Song of degrees"

The English-language word "degree" originated from a compound Latin word, de, meaning down, and gradus, meaning a step (The Consolidated Webster Encyclopedic Dictionary). The word "downgrade," meaning "to rate lower" or "to lower in value or esteem" (The WordWeb Dictionary by Princeton University) is also a direct product of the Latin term.

The original meaning of "degrees" was to lessen. It's a different word from "lesson" (from a Latin word, lectum, meaning to read) - although in the present world, lessening of stubbornness and arrogance makes learning lessons much easier, or even possible. Later, "degree" came to mean steps of higher or lower order e.g. degrees on a thermometer, or a degree from an institution of learning.

"Degree" is used to translate the Hebrew word, pronounced mawl-aw-law, which means progression to a higher place. The word is commonly used to describe elevating, but is also used to describe relative positions of responsibility of righteous people e.g. the Levite service structure (see When Were The Levites Set Apart? and The Levite Clans; also What Did John The Baptist's Father Do At The Temple?).

Examples, as translated in the King James Version:

"15:17 So the Levites appointed Heman the son of Joel; and of his brethren, Asaph the son of Berechiah; and of the sons of Merari their brethren, Ethan the son of Kushaiah; 15:18 And with them their brethren of the second degree, Zechariah, Ben, and Jaaziel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Unni, Eliab, and Benaiah, and Maaseiah, and Mattithiah, and Elipheleh, and Mikneiah, and Obededom, and Jeiel, the porters." (1 Chronicles 15:17-18 KJV)

"17:16 And David the king came and sat before the LORD, and said, Who am I, O LORD God, and what is mine house, that thou hast brought me hitherto? 17:17 And yet this was a small thing in thine eyes, O God; for thou hast also spoken of thy servant's house for a great while to come, and hast regarded me according to the estate of a man of high degree, O LORD God." (1 Chronicles 17:16-17)

The word is also used to make plain that righteousness or wickedness can be found in any "degree." Those who grow by obeying the Law of the LORD are righteous, while those who achieve a high degree by Satanic lawlessness are evil (see also The Most High). That was the point of the Messiah's parable of Lazarus and the rich man - which was about two rich men's attitude toward a poor man in genuine need (see Parables Of Jesus Christ: Lazarus And The Rich Man).

"62:9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity. 62:10 Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them." (Psalm 62:9-10 KJV)

The word is also found in the miracle of the sundial in which a brighter light briefly made "the shadow ten degrees backward" (see Hezekiah's Healing).

"20:9 And Isaiah said, This sign shalt thou have of the LORD, that the LORD will do the thing that he hath spoken: shall the shadow go forward ten degrees, or go back ten degrees? 20:10 And Hezekiah answered, It is a light thing for the shadow to go down ten degrees: nay, but let the shadow return backward ten degrees. 20:11 And Isaiah the prophet cried unto the LORD: and he brought the shadow ten degrees backward, by which it had gone down in the dial of Ahaz." (2 Kings 20:9-11 KJV)

Psalm 120 is one of 15 Psalms that are described as "A Song of degrees" in the King James Version. The original word is the same as found in the verses quoted above. Other translations render it as "A Song of Ascents" (not to be confused with accents, although most verbal or musical accents are produced by "degrees" of tone). While some historians regard the term to mean how the song was sung and/or played, others believe that it may have (otherwise or also) referred to how people sang it as they ascended the road to Jerusalem for worship at the Temple, or for observance of the Holy Days (see Leviticus 23: The True Christian Holy Days and The Identity Of The LORD God).

"120:1 A Song of degrees.

In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me. 120:2 Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.

120:3 What shall be given unto thee? or what shall be done unto thee, thou false tongue? 120:4 Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper.

120:5 Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech, that I dwell in the tents of Kedar! 120:6 My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace. 120:7 I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war." (Psalm 120:1-7 KJV)

Fact Finder: When and how did singing originate?
See Singing In History And Prophecy

개역한글성경 신약. , , , , , 롬, 고전, 고후, , 엡, , 골, 살전, 살후, 딤전, 딤후, , 몬, , 약, 벧전, 벧후, 요일, 요이, 요삼, 유,