개역한글성경 구약. , , , , , , , 룻, 삼상, 삼하, 왕상, 왕하, 대상, 대하, , 느, , 욥, , 잠, , 아, , 렘, , 겔, , 호, , 암, , 욘, , 나, , 습, , 슥,

20150408 Wednesday, April 8 2015
Psalm 132: Strait And Straight

by Wayne Blank
See also 1 Year Holy Bible Reading Plan

Strait: "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat"

The English-language word "strait" originated from a Latin word, strictus, that meant a narrow passage. The words strict and constricted originated from the same word.

While "strait" is now commonly defined as "a narrow passage of water between two seas or oceans," it applies to any "narrow pass or passage" (definitions from The Consolidated Webster Encyclopedic Dictionary - an old, but timelessly-accurate, dignified dictionary that has not been perverted by present day iniquity in which many once-good and noble words now commonly mean something foul and degenerate; see also Iniquity In History And Prophecy and The First Rock Star).

"Strait" is used to translate the Hebrew word, pronounced tsaw-rawr, that meant narrow, or specialized. It was that Hebrew word, as recorded in the New Testament with its Greek equivalent, that was used by the Messiah in His famous "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat" (see also The Messiah's Teachings About Gates).

"7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it." (Matthew 7:13-27 KJV)

Straight: "The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make His paths straight"

The English-language word "straight" originated from an Old English word, strecche, which meant to stretch (the English word "stretch" is a direct transliteration of the word), but came to mean, not only a straight line, but the closest distance between two points i.e. the original word meant to stretch a string tightly between two points, thereby giving a "straight" line. A plumb line, that is used to measure genuine uprightness (an ancient, but still used tool that the Messiah would almost certainly have used as a carpenter; see also Who Was The Carpenter That Built The Cross?), uses the same principle (see also The Lord's Plumb Line).

"Strait" and "straight" do not have the same literal meaning, nor do they from the perspective of the Holy Bible. People can live a "straight" life (i.e. living according a chosen path), but still not be living a "strait" life of actual obedience to the LORD. The saying "going straight to hell" is not Biblically inaccurate for those who are going in the wrong direction, or who compromise the LORD's Truth with their own lusts and man-made traditions while calling it Christianity (see Will Jesus Christ Obey Your Christian Religion?).

"Straight" is used to translate the Hebrew word, pronounced yaw-shawr, that means directly in the right direction. John the Baptist (see The Ministries Of The Two Greatest Prophets) prepared the way of the Messiah's first coming by preaching the "straight" course, the right way - including to those "religious authorities" who claimed to already be doing so, while actually disobeying the Word of God (see Why Call Me, Lord, Lord, and Do Not The Things Which I Say?).

Once the right direction is set "straight" (aimed directly at salvation), then the "strait" life of living according to the LORD's Law is applied to it. Those who thereafter reject or pervert the straight and strait way are going to go "straight" to hell: "He will throughly purge His floor, and gather His wheat into the garner; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

"3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

3:4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey. 3:5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. 3:10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: 3:12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." (Matthew 3:1-12 KJV)

King David lived a straight life (in the right direction) and a strait life (obeying what the LORD actually commanded; see On Course). David understood the destination of the one right direction and of the many wrong directions (see David's View Of Hell Fire and Paradise).

"132:1 A Song of degrees.

LORD, remember David, and all his afflictions: 132:2 How he sware unto the LORD, and vowed unto the mighty God of Jacob; 132:3 Surely I will not come into the tabernacle of my house, nor go up into my bed; 132:4 I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids, 132:5 Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.

132:6 Lo, we heard of it at Ephratah: we found it in the fields of the wood. 132:7 We will go into his tabernacles: we will worship at his footstool. 132:8 Arise, O LORD, into thy rest; thou, and the ark of thy strength. 132:9 Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness; and let thy saints shout for joy.

132:10 For thy servant David's sake turn not away the face of thine anointed.

132:11 The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne. 132:12 If thy children will keep my covenant and my testimony that I shall teach them, their children shall also sit upon thy throne for evermore.

132:13 For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation. 132:14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it. 132:15 I will abundantly bless her provision: I will satisfy her poor with bread. 132:16 I will also clothe her priests with salvation: and her saints shall shout aloud for joy.

132:17 There will I make the horn of David to bud: I have ordained a lamp for mine anointed. 132:18 His enemies will I clothe with shame: but upon himself shall his crown flourish." (Psalm 132:1-18 KJV)

Fact Finder: What did the Messiah teach about "gates"?
See The Messiah's Teachings About Gates

개역한글성경 신약. , , , , , 롬, 고전, 고후, , 엡, , 골, 살전, 살후, 딤전, 딤후, , 몬, , 약, 벧전, 벧후, 요일, 요이, 요삼, 유,