개역한글성경 구약. , , , , , , , 룻, 삼상, 삼하, 왕상, 왕하, 대상, 대하, , 느, , 욥, , 잠, , 아, , 렘, , 겔, , 호, , 암, , 욘, , 나, , 습, , 슥,

20150502 Saturday, May 2 2015
Proverbs 05: Why Did The LORD Outlaw Adultery?

by Wayne Blank
See also 1 Year Holy Bible Reading Plan

"Thou shalt not commit adultery"

The English-language word "adult" originated from a Latin word, adultus, that meant grown to maturity. The Latin word itself was a product of an earlier compound Latin word, ad, meaning to, and oleo, meaning grow - the words from which adolescence originated.

The word "adulterate" originated from a related Latin word, adultero, that meant to mix or debase something that is finished. In chemistry, many substances can be adulterated (i.e. polluted) by things that make them into something else. From that came the human legal term "adultery," meaning "sexual relations by a married person with someone who is not their lawful spouse." While adultery may begin with sexual behavior, as we will read, adultery then becomes a toxic ingredient that affects everything in one's life.

"Adultery" is used to translate the Hebrew word, pronounced naw-awf, that means the same ("sexual relations by a married person with someone who is not their lawful spouse"), but the Hebrew word moreover literally also means to not commit apostasy - unfaithfulness to one's spiritual beliefs. It is that word, with both of those meanings, that was actually stated in the Seventh Commandment.

"20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery." (Exodus 20:14 KJV)

There are many reasons that adultery is a grievous crime in the eyes of the LORD (see The LORD God Our Saviour). Along with the misery and strife that it inevitably causes, it can also be a direct attack on the identity of innocent children. The incident of the adultery of David and Bathsheba is a prime example of all of those damaging consequences - that then compound in destructive intensity (see Bathsheba, The Wife Of Uriah and The Parable Of The Stolen Little Ewe Lamb).

"11:2 And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon. 11:3 And David sent and enquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite? 11:4 And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house. 11:5 And the woman conceived, and sent and told David, and said, I am with child." (2 Samuel 11:2-5 KJV)

"11:14 And it came to pass in the morning, that David wrote a letter to Joab, and sent it by the hand of Uriah. 11:15 And he wrote in the letter, saying, Set ye Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retire ye from him, that he may be smitten, and die. 11:16 And it came to pass, when Joab observed the city, that he assigned Uriah unto a place where he knew that valiant men were. 11:17 And the men of the city went out, and fought with Joab: and there fell some of the people of the servants of David; and Uriah the Hittite died also." (2 Samuel 11:14-17 KJV)

"11:26 And when the wife of Uriah heard that Uriah her husband was dead, she mourned for her husband. 11:27 And when the mourning was past, David sent and fetched her to his house, and she became his wife, and bare him a son. But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD." (2 Samuel 26-27 KJV)

Many of the LORD's physical laws are moreover spiritual laws. Physical adultery often produces spiritual adultery. An example (see The Moabite Seduction):

"25:1 And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit whoredom with the daughters of Moab.

25:2 And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods. 25:3 And Israel joined himself unto Baalpeor: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel." (Numbers 25:1-3 KJV)

King Solomon's many "wives" and concubines were the means (his foolishness was the reason that the means had an opportunity) by which Solomon committed spiritual adultery.

"11:1 But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites; 11:2 Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love. 11:3 And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart. 11:4 For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. 11:5 For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites. 11:6 And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father.

11:7 Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon. 11:8 And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods.

11:9 And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice, 11:10 And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded. 11:11 Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant. 11:12 Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father's sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son. 11:13 Howbeit I will not rend away all the kingdom; but will give one tribe to thy son for David my servant's sake, and for Jerusalem's sake which I have chosen." (1 Kings 11:1-13 KJV)

The ultimate spiritual adultery has been committed by the "churches" that call themselves Christian - while being unfaithful to the actual teachings and commandments of the Messiah (see Why Call Me, Lord, Lord, and Do Not The Things Which I Say? and What Gospel Did Jesus Preach?). The Word of God calls the Church of Rome "the great harlot" - and her daughter "protestant" churches "harlots" as well (see The Bride Of Christ and The Great Harlots).

"17:3 So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. 17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. 17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration." (Revelation 17:3-6 KJV)

Notice how adultery is also used in its full spiritual context in a warning to those of the true Church of God (a Biblical, not corporate term; see Where Are The Seven Churches Of Revelation Today?).

"2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write;

These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; 2:19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 2:22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. 2:24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. 2:25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come." (Revelation 2:18-25 KJV)

As we have read, the wisdom of not committing adultery applies as much to spiritual matters as physical matters. Someone can be completely faithful and never commit physical adultery - while living in a state of spiritual adultery if they claim to be Christian while ignoring or defying what the Messiah actually taught (see the Fact Finder question below).

"5:1 My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding: 5:2 That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge. 5:3 For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil: 5:4 But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword. 5:5 Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell. 5:6 Lest thou shouldest ponder the path of life, her ways are moveable, that thou canst not know them.

5:7 Hear me now therefore, O ye children, and depart not from the words of my mouth. 5:8 Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house: 5:9 Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel: 5:10 Lest strangers be filled with thy wealth; and thy labours be in the house of a stranger; 5:11 And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed, 5:12 And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof; 5:13 And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me! 5:14 I was almost in all evil in the midst of the congregation and assembly.

5:15 Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well. 5:16 Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets. 5:17 Let them be only thine own, and not strangers' with thee. 5:18 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. 5:19 Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love. 5:20 And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger?

5:21 For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings. 5:22 His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins. 5:23 He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray." (Proverbs 5:1-23 KJV)

Fact Finder: Why is God called our Father? Why is the true Church of God called a "woman"?
See The Patriotism Prophecy and Why Is The Church Called The Body Of Christ?

개역한글성경 신약. , , , , , 롬, 고전, 고후, , 엡, , 골, 살전, 살후, 딤전, 딤후, , 몬, , 약, 벧전, 벧후, 요일, 요이, 요삼, 유,