개역한글성경 구약. , , , , , , , 룻, 삼상, 삼하, 왕상, 왕하, 대상, 대하, , 느, , 욥, , 잠, , 아, , 렘, , 겔, , 호, , 암, , 욘, , 나, , 습, , 슥,

20150507 Thursday, May 7 2015
Proverbs 10: Solomon's Days In The Light

by Wayne Blank
See also 1 Year Holy Bible Reading Plan

"And if thou wilt walk in My Ways, to keep My Statutes and My Commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days"

King Solomon (see Israel In History and Prophecy: Solomon) is often regarded as one of the wisest men that ever lived - which he was, until he fell away from it.

As a youth, Solomon possessed a great amount of natural wisdom. It's what caused Solomon pray to the LORD (see The LORD God Our Saviour) for Godly wisdom.

"3:5 In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said, Ask what I shall give thee.

3:6 And Solomon said, Thou hast shewed unto thy servant David my father great mercy, according as he walked before thee in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with thee; and thou hast kept for him this great kindness, that thou hast given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. 3:7 And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in. 3:8 And thy servant is in the midst of thy people which thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered nor counted for multitude. 3:9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?" (1 Kings 3:5-9 KJV)

The LORD blessed Solomon for his heartfelt request - but with a warning of what would surely happen if he chose to become corrupt (see the Fact Finder question below).

"3:10 And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. 3:11 And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment; 3:12 Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee. 3:13 And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days. 3:14 And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days." (1 Kings 3:10-14 KJV)

The Proverbs are not just worldly sayings of how to be successful in physical life. The Proverbs are not dead-end philosophy. Most of the Proverbs are contrary to human physical nature because it wasn't "Solomon's wisdom" that wrote them - it was the Wisdom of the Holy Spirit.

Fools aren't merely those who do foolish things; they are those who reject the Holy Spirit of wisdom.

"10:1 The proverbs of Solomon.

A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.

10:2 Treasures of wickedness profit nothing: but righteousness delivereth from death.

10:3 The LORD will not suffer the soul of the righteous to famish: but he casteth away the substance of the wicked.

10:4 He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich.

10:5 He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.

10:6 Blessings are upon the head of the just: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.

10:7 The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.

10:8 The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.

10:9 He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.

10:10 He that winketh with the eye causeth sorrow: but a prating fool shall fall.

10:11 The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.

10:12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

10:13 In the lips of him that hath understanding wisdom is found: but a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding.

10:14 Wise men lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction.

10:15 The rich man's wealth is his strong city: the destruction of the poor is their poverty.

10:16 The labour of the righteous tendeth to life: the fruit of the wicked to sin.

10:17 He is in the way of life that keepeth instruction: but he that refuseth reproof erreth.

10:18 He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.

10:19 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.

10:20 The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth.

10:21 The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for want of wisdom.

10:22 The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.

10:23 It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

10:24 The fear of the wicked, it shall come upon him: but the desire of the righteous shall be granted.

10:25 As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation.

10:26 As vinegar to the teeth, and as smoke to the eyes, so is the sluggard to them that send him.

10:27 The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.

10:28 The hope of the righteous shall be gladness: but the expectation of the wicked shall perish.

10:29 The way of the LORD is strength to the upright: but destruction shall be to the workers of iniquity.

10:30 The righteous shall never be removed: but the wicked shall not inhabit the earth.

10:31 The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom: but the froward tongue shall be cut out.

10:32 The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaketh frowardness." (Proverbs 10:1-32 KJV)

Fact Finder: Like a fuel delivery vehicle that must itself use fuel to deliver fuel, the Holy Spirit must never be forsaken by the wise. Solomon, despite his great wisdom in his youth, squandered and lost it in his later years. How did it happen?
See Solomon's Wise Years and What Caused Solomon's Idolatry?

개역한글성경 신약. , , , , , 롬, 고전, 고후, , 엡, , 골, 살전, 살후, 딤전, 딤후, , 몬, , 약, 벧전, 벧후, 요일, 요이, 요삼, 유,