개역한글성경 구약. , , , , , , , 룻, 삼상, 삼하, 왕상, 왕하, 대상, 대하, , 느, , 욥, , 잠, , 아, , 렘, , 겔, , 호, , 암, , 욘, , 나, , 습, , 슥,

20150611 Thursday, June 11 2015
Song Of Solomon 01: Why Is Song of Solomon In The Holy Bible?

by Wayne Blank
See also 1 Year Holy Bible Reading Plan

"For the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints"

Many readers of the Book (i.e. scroll, as it was originally written) have wondered why the "Song of Solomon" is in the Holy Bible. It appears very unique from the other Scriptures in that it seems to make no mention of the LORD, His law, history or prophecy. While it is generally classified with the Psalms and Proverbs, it is very different from them as well. It appears as merely a love song between Solomon and his wife (see Singing In History And Prophecy).

The answer may be found if one considers when it was written, and therefore who was Solomon's wife - named in the Book only as a "Shulamite" (Shulam was an ancient town in the northern Israel area). Was it written when Solomon was a wise young man, who is recorded as expressing love for a specific "Shulamite," or was it written in Solomon's later years when he became a lecherous old fool with 700 "wives" and 300 "concubines"?

If it was written earlier, it's in the Bible as an example of love and faithfulness. Solomon's writings, and his wife's responses, do not portray either the ramblings of an old idol worshiper with a huge harem (as he later did in Ecclesiastes; see Solomon's Bubbles and A Wise Child And An Old And Foolish King), nor does the Shunammite talk as though she is just one of a thousand women. Their expression of love seems pure and whole for each other.

Who was the "Shulamite" that Solomon loved in his early, wise years? Does the Bible say? Yes, it does. Abishag, who was a Shunammite, was a young virgin who attended King David as he was dying. Due to the job that she was given to do, Abishag lived in the palace where still-then young, wise Solomon also lived. They knew each other and were about the same age.

"1:1 Now king David was old and stricken in years; and they covered him with clothes, but he gat no heat. 1:2 Wherefore his servants said unto him, Let there be sought for my lord the king a young virgin: and let her stand before the king, and let her cherish him, and let her lie in thy bosom, that my lord the king may get heat.

1:3 So they sought for a fair damsel throughout all the coasts of Israel, and found Abishag a Shunammite, and brought her to the king.

1:4 And the damsel was very fair, and cherished the king, and ministered to him: but the king knew her not." (1 Kings 1:1-4 KJV)

When David died, Solomon was fully made king. As still then a single, wise young man, he went into a jealous fury (something that a man with 1,000 "wives" would be unlikely to do) when his brother asked to marry Abishag - Solomon had his brother executed for making the request. If the Song of Solomon was written in his wise young years, Abishag the Shunammite would almost certainly be the wife in Song of Solomon.

"2:21 And she said, Let Abishag the Shunammite be given to Adonijah thy brother to wife.

2:22 And king Solomon answered and said unto his mother, And why dost thou ask Abishag the Shunammite for Adonijah? ask for him the kingdom also; for he is mine elder brother; even for him, and for Abiathar the priest, and for Joab the son of Zeruiah.

2:23 Then king Solomon sware by the LORD, saying, God do so to me, and more also, if Adonijah have not spoken this word against his own life. 2:24 Now therefore, as the LORD liveth, which hath established me, and set me on the throne of David my father, and who hath made me an house, as he promised, Adonijah shall be put to death this day." (1 Kings 2:21-24 KJV)

If one considers the time that Song of Solomon was logically written (i.e. when Solomon had one wife, and before he became a harem-keeping old idol worshiper), it becomes obvious why it's in the Bible because the principle of marital fidelity and love that is found in Song of Solomon is found throughout the Scriptures, including in analogy by the Messiah's love for His "bride": "19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God." (Revelation 19:7-9 KJV)

"1:1 The song of songs, which is Solomon's.

1:2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine. 1:3 Because of the savour of thy good ointments thy name is as ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee. 1:4 Draw me, we will run after thee: the king hath brought me into his chambers: we will be glad and rejoice in thee, we will remember thy love more than wine: the upright love thee.

1:5 I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon. 1:6 Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: my mother's children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept. 1:7 Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth, where thou feedest, where thou makest thy flock to rest at noon: for why should I be as one that turneth aside by the flocks of thy companions?

1:8 If thou know not, O thou fairest among women, go thy way forth by the footsteps of the flock, and feed thy kids beside the shepherds' tents.

1:9 I have compared thee, O my love, to a company of horses in Pharaoh's chariots. 1:10 Thy cheeks are comely with rows of jewels, thy neck with chains of gold. 1:11 We will make thee borders of gold with studs of silver.

1:12 While the king sitteth at his table, my spikenard sendeth forth the smell thereof. 1:13 A bundle of myrrh is my wellbeloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts. 1:14 My beloved is unto me as a cluster of camphire in the vineyards of Engedi.

1:15 Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes.

1:16 Behold, thou art fair, my beloved, yea, pleasant: also our bed is green.

1:17 The beams of our house are cedar, and our rafters of fir." (Song of Solomon 1:1-17 KJV)

Fact Finder: How is fine linen used in prophecy?
See Linen In History And Prophecy

개역한글성경 신약. , , , , , 롬, 고전, 고후, , 엡, , 골, 살전, 살후, 딤전, 딤후, , 몬, , 약, 벧전, 벧후, 요일, 요이, 요삼, 유,