개역한글성경 구약. , , , , , , , 룻, 삼상, 삼하, 왕상, 왕하, 대상, 대하, , 느, , 욥, , 잠, , 아, , 렘, , 겔, , 호, , 암, , 욘, , 나, , 습, , 슥,

20160921 Wednesday, September 21 2016
Titus 01: Why Did Paul Leave Titus On The Island Of Crete?

by Wayne Blank
See also 1 Year Holy Bible Reading Plan

"For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee"

Crete is an island in the eastern Mediterranean Sea. It marks the southern boundary of the Aegean Sea (see also The Aegean Connection). The topography of Crete is predominantly mountainous (many islands are actually mountain tops, in which the above-water peak is the island), with Mount Ida rising to 8,060 feet above sea level at the shore.

Crete is one of the largest islands in the Mediterranean, spanning about 225 kilometers (140 miles) long and 55 kilometers (35 miles) wide. Crete is seen at the center-bottom of the satellite photograph below. The Aegean Sea and its islands are to the north of Crete. Greece is the land mass at the left, while western Turkey is the land mass at the right (also see the labeled map farther below).

The Minoan Civilization of Crete was one of the world's most ancient cultures, reaching a peak around 1600 B.C. The island was conquered by imperial Rome (see The Politics Of Rome and A History Of Jerusalem: Pompey And The Caesars) in 67 B.C., and was later held by Byzantium (the eastern Roman Empire), except for a period of Arab occupation from 823-961 (see also What Does The Bible Say About Arabs?). It was taken by Venice in 1204 and Turkey in 1669. Crete was contested between Turkey and Greece until union with Greece was proclaimed in 1908. During the Second World War (1939-1945), Crete was the scene of the first large-scale invasion by air when German paratroopers took the island.

Crete is mentioned in the Old Testament in 1 Samuel 30:14 and Ezekiel 25:16 in reference to the Kerethites (or Cherethites), a Philistine people who are believed to have originated on Crete.

People of Crete ("Cretans") were among the earliest Christians. Some were present with those gathered at the Pentecost "birthday of the church," after the resurrection of the Messiah (see also The Saviour Of All Repentant People):

"2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God." (Acts 2:9-11 KJV)

After he had completed his three major missionary journeys (see Paul's First Missionary Journey, Paul's Second Missionary Journey, Paul's Third Missionary Journey), the apostle Paul stopped briefly on Crete while being taken as a prisoner to Rome (see the Fact Finder question below). It was from Crete that Paul's famous shipwreck voyage occurred:

"27:7 And when we had sailed slowly many days, and scarce were come over against Cnidus, the wind not suffering us, we sailed under Crete, over against Salmone; 27:8 And, hardly passing it, came unto a place which is called The fair havens; nigh whereunto was the city of Lasea. 27:9 Now when much time was spent, and when sailing was now dangerous, because the fast was now already past, Paul admonished them, 27:10 And said unto them, Sirs, I perceive that this voyage will be with hurt and much damage, not only of the lading and ship, but also of our lives." (Acts 27:7-10 KJV)

Titus was a faithful friend and trusted associate of the apostle Paul. Born of Greek parents, Titus was a convert to Christianity at a relatively young age, possibly by means of the preaching of Paul himself during his travels through much of Greece and Asia Minor (today Turkey). Although Titus is not recorded specifically by name in the Book of Acts, he is mentioned frequently in Paul's epistles, apart from Paul's epistle to Titus himself.

"2:1 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also." (Galatians 2:1 KJV)

So it was then that Paul's epistle to Titus was written with instructions about helping the Christians on Crete - including some of those who attended the "birthday of the church" Pentecost, as we read in the verses quoted above.

"1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began; 1:3 But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;

1:4 To Titus, mine own son after the common faith:

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

1:5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee: 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; 1:8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

1:10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: 1:11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. 1:12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. 1:13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; 1:14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth. 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:1-16 KJV)

Fact Finder: Who caused Paul to be taken to Rome as a political prisoner?
See Why Was Paul Sent To Rome?; also Paul's Letter To The True Church Of Rome

개역한글성경 신약. , , , , , 롬, 고전, 고후, , 엡, , 골, 살전, 살후, 딤전, 딤후, , 몬, , 약, 벧전, 벧후, 요일, 요이, 요삼, 유,