개역한글성경 구약. , , , , , , , 룻, 삼상, 삼하, 왕상, 왕하, 대상, 대하, , 느, , 욥, , 잠, , 아, , 렘, , 겔, , 호, , 암, , 욘, , 나, , 습, , 슥,

20160925 Sunday, September 25 2016
Hebrews 01: Who Wrote The Epistle To The Hebrews?

by Wayne Blank
See also 1 Year Holy Bible Reading Plan

"Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you. Salute all them that have the rule over you, and all the saints. They of Italy salute you"

The author of the epistle (see The Epistles: What Is An Epistle?) to the Hebrews is unstated in the letter itself. That is unusual, to us now, however it seems abundantly obvious, to the recipients at the time, that it was the apostle Paul (see Paul, The Apostle To The World). The writer speaks with the tone and authority that was typical of Paul in his other letters to various church congregations throughout Turkey and Greece (e.g. see Unto The Churches Of Galatia and The Intercontinental Church Of God).

The author was an Israelite - which eliminates many possible writers, other than Paul, that have been suggested over the centuries (e.g. Timothy and Luke were Greeks):

"1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets" (Hebrews 1:1 KJV)

The strongest clues however are found at the closing of the letter. Along with the apostolic authority of the letter, the statements about Timothy (a close associate of Paul - which also eliminates Timothy as the author) and Italy (Paul was taken to Rome for the trial before the Caesar; see Why Was Paul Sent To Rome?) eliminate many other possible writers.

"13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

13:18 Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly. 13:19 But I beseech you the rather to do this, that I may be restored to you the sooner.

13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 13:21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

13:22 And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words.

13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.

13:24 Salute all them that have the rule over you, and all the saints. They of Italy salute you.

13:25 Grace be with you all. Amen." (Hebrews 13:17-25 KJV)

Regardless of who the author was (I believe that it was Paul), their Scriptural and prophetic knowledge was profound and accurate - consistent with all that was written before and after.

"1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 1:4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee?

And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

1:6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

1:8 But unto the Son he saith,

Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. 1:9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

1:10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: 1:11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment; 1:12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.

1:13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?

1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?" (Hebrews 1:1-14 KJV)

Fact Finder: Was Abraham a Hebrew? How did Abraham become a father to many nations?
See the study series for Abraham (the links to all are in each one) beginning with A Biography Of Abraham: The Genealogy Of Abram

개역한글성경 신약. , , , , , 롬, 고전, 고후, , 엡, , 골, 살전, 살후, 딤전, 딤후, , 몬, , 약, 벧전, 벧후, 요일, 요이, 요삼, 유,